e-Borneo logo

Sipadan Hostage News Specials

Experience Borneo Electronically at e-Borneo.com

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo ToursBorneo HotelsTravel BorneoBorneo ServiceContact Borneo

.

24 April 2000, 23:15 pm - Bernama

KIDNAPPING MAY BE POLITICAL, SAYS IGP

KUALA LUMPUR, April 24 (Bernama) -- Police said politics could be among the motives of six heavily armed men who took 20 people hostage and fled from Sipadan island in Sabah Sunday night.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Norian Mai said police could not yet confirm the motive for the abduction but politics, ransom and feelings of dissatisfaction were among the possible reasons.

Asked whether the kidnapping was connected to the Abu Sayyaf rebel group which was holding several hostages in southern Philippines, he said "there is a possibility".

"We seriously feel that politics may be a reason," he told a press conference at the Bukit Aman federal police headquarters here Monday afternoon.

As at 4.30pm, police had not made any contact with the kidnappers, he said.

He said five of the kidnappers who raided the resort island at 7.30pm were armed with AK47 assault machine guns and one had a bazooka.

Norian confirmed the nationalities of the 11 foreigners among the hostages -- three Germans, two South Africans, two French nationals, two Finns, one Lebanese and one Filipino who was working on the island.

The nine Malaysians taken hostage comprise four workers of the Wildlife Department, three workers of the Sipadan resort centre, a policeman and a staff of Syarikat Borneo Divers.

He said an American couple, both aged 51, who were captured together with the 20 people managed to escape before they were forced into a boat.

"They fled into the jungles and emerged this morning, and police have taken them to Semporna. Their condition was good and they did not have injuries," he said.

Norian said two more policemen were on patrol and several other staff of the resort were around when the armed men struck.

He said an American couple, both aged 51, who were captured together with the 20 people managed to escape before they were forced into a boat.

"They fled into the jungles and emerged this morning, and police have taken them to Semporna. Their condition was good and they did not have injuries," he said.

Norian said the armed men raided the police base on the island before capturing the hostages at 7.30pm.

Danny K.K.Chin, a staff of Sipadan Resort and Tours who managed to escaped, said the hostages were having their dinner when the pirates rushed in and seized the money and valuables.

There were then seven workers at the resort centre.

Two policemen were on patrol at another part of the island which has four resorts.

Norian said the kidnappers came in two 'jongkong' boats.

"And when fleeing with the hostages they used only one jongkong boat and seized a boat belonging to the resort centre. Their other boat was left behind," he said.

The IGP said the kidnappers were all believed to be foreigners.

"From the descriptions we have, we conclude that the criminals are foreigners because they spoke fluent English but not the local dialect," he said.

He said police had deployed additional units from their air and marine wings for patrolling the country's waters.

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said this evening that the location of the 20 hostages had been identified.

"We now know their exact location," he told reporters in Alor Setar.

A Malaysian crisis management team was mapping out strategies to handle with the situation, he said.

The Defence Ministry has despatched a patrol boat and a maritime surveillance aircraft to the location where the pirates are holding the hostages.

"The ministry has also placed all its units on alert," said Najib.

He said the ministry was standing by to provide logistical support should the police need to despatch reinforcement urgently.

But he gave a non-committal reply when asked whether military or police commandos would be sent to free the hostages.

Najib assured tourists that ensuring their safety was of prime importance to the government and it was taking measures towards this end.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said that based on information given to Wisma Putra, all the 20 hostages were safe.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News

Footer Other Pages

 

.

Travel:.. 

Borneo Tours  - Sabah Tours -  Sarawak Tours  -  Brunei Tours  -  Borneo All-Inclusive Tours   -  Borneo Map   - Borneo Destinations   - Borneo Hotels   -  Sabah Hotels   -  Sarawak Hotels   -  Brunei Hotels   -  Borneo Weather   -  Custom Borneo Tour  -  Travelogue  -  Tropical Vacation - Adventure Vacation - Eco & Nature Tour - Wildlife Tour - Scuba Diving Vacation  - Info Borneo

.

HomeAbout UsSite Map | Announcement | Bookmark UsDisclaimerPrivacy Policy | Copyright | Contact

Copyright © and ™ 1999-2014   e-borneo.com   All rights reserved worldwide