| SECURITY FORCES IN HOT
PURSUIT OF PIRATES
KUALA LUMPUR, April 24
(Bernama) -- Malaysian security forces are in hot pursuit of a band of pirates who have
taken 20 people hostage, including foreign tourists, on Sipadan island off the Sabah coast
Sunday night.
Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said upon being
informed of the incident at 8.30 am Monday, he ordered for a swift response by the
Malaysian security forces.
"They'll have to act fast," he told reporters who approached him on the incident
after closing the Malaysian Trust Fund week at the Putra World Trade Centre (PWTC) here.
Sipadan island is a popular resort especially among scuba-divers.
As of 8.30 am Monday, Abdullah said he was not informed yet of the pirates' demands in
return for the release of the hostages.
According to information conveyed to him, Abdullah said six of the pirates are Filipinos.
Abdullah said the authorities were determined to secure the release of the foreign
tourists and local residents held hostage.
"Freeing them is uppermost. I think the Philippine government can help in this
matter," he said.
Abdullah had ordered a special team comprising the police, the defence and foreign
ministries, be set up to manage the crisis.
The Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Norian Mai had been instructed to convene an
urgent meeting with these agencies to mount an integrated operation to free the hostages,
he said.
Abdullah said he had proposed that the police work together with the Defence Ministry in
handling the crisis.
Abdullah said he had issued orders that the Philippine government be kept informed of the
situation with the view to getting Manila's assistance.
"I was informed that the Sabah police chief had contacted the police authorities in
southern Philippines," he said.
While describing the incident as unexpected, Abdullah said it should also prompt the
police to review the security of territorial waters off Sabah.
News of the attack reached Tawau on Sabah's east coast at about 8pm Sunday night, about an
hour after the pirates struck on Sipadan.
According to The Star newspaper online edition, the pirates were armed with rocket
launchers and M16 rifles and besides tourists, the hostages included hotel staff and
wildlife rangers.
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |