Arrive Miri airport late afternoon or evening. The short walk across the airport apron brings the first taste and feel of the tropics – warm and fragrant (with just a whiff of aviation fuel possibly!) – transfer to TreeTops Lodge Guest House – wash, change, swim and adjourn to dinner venue. Dinner al fresco – crab, prawns, tofu, squid (kalimares), with plentiful drinks of fresh coconut, beer or Soya bean.
Wake up late – swim – large, lazy breakfast. Explore surroundings. Visit beach.
City Tour to see the sights and sounds of Miri, including the first oil wells on Canada Hill with its fine views over the town and along the coast, visit the local markets and modern shopping Malls or spend the time at your leisure. Buffet lunch at Cafe Rosita.
Day trip to Lambir National Park. About one hour’s drive through the “back roads”; visit Iban Longhouse, Agricultural college and palm-oil plantation on the way to Lambir. Jungle walk (easy) 20 minutes – rock pools – swim and picnic. Self-guided. Return for sundown.
Day 4 & 5
Mulu visit – flight by light aircraft (Twin Otter) of Malaysian Airlines on their Rural Air Service to Mulu airfield, about 30 minutes flying time. Flights depart late morning and early afternoon and are weather dependent, which is why we put this trip in the middle and not at the end! In the mornings the airfield at Mulu is often covered in mist and fog and by early evening the daily thunderstorm is usually in progress around the mountain!
Return flight is included plus overnight accommodation at the Park Headquarters in twin-share “cabin” with its own bathroom, or, as an extra option, you can stay at the “posh” Royal Mulu Resort, whose package includes all guides, boat trips, meals and airport transfers. (extra cost for this option is approximately £90 per person and must be booked in advance).
Day 6 & 7
Trip to Niah Caves (self-guided) and overnight at National Park chalets.
Day 8 to 14
Whilst staying at the TreeTops Lodge Guest House as a base, the following day trips can be taken, depending on your preferences, the holiday price includes everything except meals and drinks and where stated:
- Bario option fits in here, 3 days or 5 days, instead of the local tours below. See Bario page for more details.
- Leave early by road to Kuala Baram for river boat to Marudi. Overnight in small town hotel.
- Marudi: gateway to the Inland (Ulu) of Borneo and market town for many of the tribes peoples. Visit to Longhouses and further up-river exploration possible. 2 night trip.
- Day trip to Bungai beach – a totally undiscovered and original coastal area next to an interesting bird sanctuary (Sibuti). Picnic lunch on the beach.
- Day trip to Brunei (or extend overnight at additional cost of about £15 ). Visit Jerudong Park (self-guided, open 5 p.m. to midnight, Thursday-Sunday). Brunei’s answer to Disney world, courtesy of the Sultan.
- Baram River visit and Crocodile farm.
Last Night Farewell barbecue party.
International flight back home ……………………
Note: Above itinerary not necessarily in the order below, as some arrangements are dependent on flight schedules which vary, especially at weekends, and availability.