Meet the Orang Utans at Sepilok and experience the Abai Boat Cruise along the Kinabatangan River in search of Proboscis Monkeys
Itinerary for Sepilok Orang Utan & Abai River Cruise
- In the morning (~7:45am), meet on arrival at Sandakan Airport or Hotel lobby.
- Proceed to the world famous Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre
- The journey overland will take approximately 30 minutes.
- On arrival, register at the reception counter.
- Firstly, proceed for a 30 min video show and briefing on the Centre.
- The Centre was founded in 1964, to rehabilitate orphaned baby orangutans – most rescued from logging sites/plantations because of illegal hunting or illegal pet trade.
- Proceed to the Platform to observe the daily feeding of the Orang Utan (time: 1000 hrs).
- In addition, you can visit the nursery area where the younger Orang Utans first learn to be outside and play on a large climbing frame.
- Depart Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre for lunch in Sandakan Town.
- After lunch, transfer to jetty in Sandakan town.
- Board a boat across the bay, into the mangrove swamps.
- Cruise in the mangrove swamps till the Kinabatangan River mouth, passing by the village of Maumiang.
- Proceed along the Kinabatangan River to the riverine village of Abai.
- A brief stop at the village to observe the village lifestyle.
- Cruise to search for the elusive proboscis monkeys and other wildlife.
- Finally, return to Sandakan Town.
- On arrival, transfer to Sandakan Airport for flight to your next destination or transfer to a hotel in Sandakan Town.
- End of tour.
( Lunch provided )
Suitable walking shoes / long sleeves shirts / change of clothes / water canteen/plasters / insect repellent / mosquito oil / binoculars / camera / water proof bag for camera / torchlight / raincoat and personal items.