Tabin Wildlife Reserve – Ideal for Wildlife Observation and Bird-Watching
Itinerary for 2D/1N Tabin Wildlife Reserve (Ex-Lahad Datu)
Day 1: Arrival Tabin Wildlife Resort / Lipad Mud Volcano
Pick up at the airport or hotel in Lahad Datu and transferred by road to Tabin Wildlife Reserve (~1:30 hrs).
Check into an attractive timber lodge at Tabin Wildlife Resort, nestled within the rainforest beside the Lipad river.
The resort comes complete with private balcony, ceiling fan and hot water shower, a rather welcome luxury in the forest.
This lovely setting is home to a surprising variety of birds, insects and also small mammals, even right beside the buildings of the resort.
Discover the rich variety of jungle herbs, some endemic, used for generations by local folks for the treatment of various ailments.
In the afternoon, visit the Lipad mud volcano which serves a mineral salt lick for wildlife, including birds.
After trekking through the rainforest for about 20 minutes, arrive at the elevated bare area of the mud volcano commonly frequented by wildlife and birds.
Try to identify the multitude of animal footprints here – maybe mouse deer, pigs and some elephant prints which are easy to spot.
- The area attracts the local wildlife due to the minerals they get in this mud volcano.
In addition, climb the observation tower, which is about 20 metres high.
Admire the contrasting landscape of the bare mud volcano and its surrounding thick forest, where birds are rather commonly sighted.
- Finally, return to the resort.
After dinner, enjoy a slide presentation on Tabin’s natural wonders.
This is follow by a night trip to look out for nocturnal wildlife and also birds.
Remember to look up at the clear, dark sky of Tabin, identify the constellations above you and make a wish or two.
Overnight at Tabin Wildlife Resort.
(Lunch & Dinner)
Day 2: Lipad Waterfall / Departure
- Join the early morning bird walk to discover some of Tabin’s rich collection of almost 300 bird species.
- After breakfast, trek to Lipad Waterfall while hiking through the lush green rainforest known for its rich diversity of plants and animal species.
- Take a dip in the natural pool.
- Enjoy a natural and refreshing shower under the waterfall.
- Alternatively, explore the surrounding vegetation or just relax.
- Depart Tabin Wildlife Resort to Lahad Datu airport/town.
End of Tour.
(Breakfast and Lunch)
NOTE: Activities are subject to weather conditions, and may be re-organised to best meet operational situations.
Package includes: Scheduled return transfer Lahad Datu/Tabin/Lahad Datu, accommodation, meals as stated, guided tours and activities.
Insect repellent, long sleeve shirts & long pants, raincoat, sun hat, swim wear, comfortable trekking shoes, torch light, water bottle & personal toiletries. Leech socks are available for sale at the resort’s shop.