Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan/Pandanan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


12 October 2000 - The Manila Times

Government optimistic on new peace talks with MILF

By Manny B. Marinay

DEFENSE Secretary Orlando Mercado yesterday said the government can now “set the stage” for the resumption of the stalled peace negotiations with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

The MILF expressed renewed interest to return to the bargaining table following Malacañang’s directive to the Department of Justice to withdraw the criminal charges filed against top MILF leaders Hashim Salamat, Al Haj Murad and Eid Kabalu in connection with the spate of bombings in Mindanao and Metro Manila shopping malls earlier this year.

 “That’s a step ahead. We’re getting nearer to the talks,” Kabalu, MILF spokesman, said.

“I’m happy to hear that. We welcome all positive steps, no matter how small,” an elated Mercado told THE MANILA TIMES in a phone interview.

The military, meantime said, that at least 24 people were killed in clashes that broke out when Muslim separatist rebels tried to overrun a military outpost in Lanao del sur.

About 50 guerrillas from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) attacked the outpost in the predominantly Christian village of Igabay in Balabagan, Lanao del Sur province, early Tuesday, said Maj. Johnny Macanas, spokesman for the Army’s 4th Infantry Division.

At least 11 guerrillas were killed initially and six others died as soldiers pursued the retreating rebels, Macanas said, adding that at least two soldiers and five civilian militiamen were killed and eight soldiers were wounded in the fighting.

Peace process

Mercado said the MILF’s willingness to proceed with the peace process will certainly spur the Estrada administration “to make appropriate actions for a negotiated settlement” with the country’s largest Moro secessionist group.

He added the possibility of holding the talks abroad as demanded by the MILF “is being studied legally.”  

“We’re taking that up in the Cluster E meeting,” Mercado said.
--Aniceto Rasalan and AP

Back to Sipadan/Pandanan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide