| ESTRADA ASSURES
M'SIA IT WILL STOP USE OF FORCE TO END HOSTAGES CRISIS KUALA LUMPUR, May 5 (Bernama) --
Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir said on thursday that Philippine President Joseph Estrada has
assured the Malaysian government that it would not continue with the military action
against the group that abducted 21 people from Sipadan Island on April 23.
The prime minister said Estrada had given an assurance that his government would do its
best to secure the release of the captives and not jeopardise their safety.
"They were receptive when they met our representative. President Estrada gave an
assurance that they will do their best and that they will not intensify or continue with
the military action that they have taken."
He told reporters this when asked to comment on the Philippine government's reaction to
Malaysia's suggestion that the hostage crisis be resolved as soon as possible through
negotiations.
The kidnappers and the Philippine military were engaged in a gunbattle in Jolo Island in
the southern Philippines last Monday.
Malaysia and several other countries whose nationals are among the hostages have urged the
Philippines to avoid using force but to resolve the hostage crisis through negotiation.
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Pandikar Amin Mulia had been sent to the
Philippines as the prime minister's special envoy to monitor efforts to secure the release
of the captives.
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |