Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan/Pandanan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


07 October 2000 - AP

Report: Rebels Ready To Surrender

By AARON FAVILA, Associated Press Writer

JOLO, Philippines (AP) - Members of a Muslim rebel group holding five hostages, including an American, are seeking to surrender after evading troops for three weeks, Philippine military officials said Friday.

Some 5,000 military troops swept onto southern Jolo island on Sept 16 but have been unable to find the American, three Malaysians and a Filipino held by the Abu Sayyaf rebels.

A sizable group of rebels led by guerrilla spokesman Abu Sabaya have sent surrender feelers, Gen. Manuel Teodosio said.

The group is believed to be holding American Jeffrey Schilling, but some reports indicate he has already been taken to another island.

Earlier this week, soldiers broadened the search to the neighboring provinces of Tawi-Tawi and Basilan, believing some of the rebels may have escaped. The massive operation on Jolo has forced more then 88,000 civilians from their homes.

A member of the government's disbanded negotiating team said they are still in regular contact with the main rebel leader, Ghalib ``Robot'' Andang, through go-betweens in case he wants to surrender.

Andang remains on Jolo, though his satellite phone is no longer working, said the team member, speaking on condition he not be identified. The negotiating team was disbanded when the invasion was launched.

On Monday, troops recovered 12 Filipino Christian evangelists held hostage by the rebels after one escaped and informed the military of the location of the others.

Schilling telephoned the U.S. Embassy on Sept. 25 and said he had been taken by speedboat to an undisclosed island, Philippine officials said. He said his captors were demanding $10 million for his release.

On Friday, police prevented a band of Abu Sayyaf members from leaving Jolo and seized their high-powered speedboat, officials said. The rebels fled into the jungle after a clash with police, police Superintendent Candido Casimiro said.

A separate team of negotiators who earlier freed nine Malaysian hostages is attempting to re-establish contacts with the rebels to gain the release of the three remaining Malaysians, officials said.

The Abu Sayyaf began a wave of kidnappings in March that has badly embarrassed the government and tarnished the Philippines' reputation among tourists and investors. Most of their hostages were released after payment of more than $15 million in ransom by Libya and Malaysia, negotiators say.

Also on Friday, a representative of another Muslim rebel group fighting for self-rule in the southern Philippines said the group is open to autonomy as an alternative to independence.

Al Haj Murad, vice chairman for military affairs of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, said the government must drop preconditions for resuming talks, remove bounties on MILF leaders and respect previous agreements, including a 1997 cease-fire accord.

President Joseph Estrada has said repeatedly that allowing the rebels to form an independent Islamic state would violate the Philippine constitution.

Back to Sipadan/Pandanan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide