Three missing after gang attacks Malaysian
diving resort
KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia Sept 11
(AFP) - Three people were missing after unidentified gunmen in a speedboat robbed a diving
resort off Malaysia's easternmost state of Sabah, police said Monday.
Four men in two speedboats
landed Sunday evening at a resort on Pandanan island, national police spokesman
Superintendent Benjamin Hasbie said.
He said 14 people at the resort
ran off when the gunmen arrived at 7.30 pm (1130 GMT) and three of them had not so far
returned to the chalet.
The gunmen stole a variety of
items from the resort before fleeing into international waters. Benjamin said police did
not know whether the gang had taken the three people, believed to be Malaysians, away with
them.
He said police were treating
the matter as a robbery case but navy and police boats were mounting a search.
Pandanan is about 35 minutes by
boat from Sipadan island, where nine Malaysians and 12 foreigners were seized by Abu
Sayyaf guerrillas from the southern Philippines in April.
Back to Sipadan/Pandanan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |