Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


07 September 2000 - AFP

Hostage releases delayed by Philippine kidnappers feud

ZAMBOANGA, Philippines, Sept 7 (AFP) - A feud among Muslim extremist kidnappers condemned six European hostages to another day of captivity in the Philippine jungle, sources said Thursday.

The three Frenchmen, two Finns and a German, who had been due to be freed from their four-month ordeal on Thursday, would have to wait until Friday because of an internal rift among the Abu Sayyaf rebels, a source close to the negotiators said.

But he would not reveal details of the argument, saying it was a "sensitive matter" which if made public, could derail Friday's planned releases.

It was also unsure whether all six would be freed in one go on Friday, or whether the releases would be staggered.

The kidnappers Wednesday abruptly announced the six would be freed on Friday, instead of on Thursday as government negotiators had earlier anticipated.

Chief government spokesman Press Secretary Ricardo Puno said in Manila the release was delayed because "all arrangements have not been completed" without specifying.

But he added the government "is very confident that the release will be completed tommorrow."

Four of the Europeans are among the last of a group of 21 foreign and local hostages seized by the Abu Sayyaf from the Malaysian island resort of Sipadan on April 23 and taken across the sea border to Jolo island.

The other two are French TV journalists seized in July while seeking to interview the hostages.

Meanwhile in Jolo, a government-appointed negotiator, Munib Estino, working to free an American held by another Abu Sayyaf faction said he had sent a camera, a tape recorder and paper to the kidnappers' camp.

Estino said his emissaries went to the hideout and will use the camera and tape recorder to prove Jeffrey Schilling, 24, is really being held by the extremists.

Schilling can also use the paper to write messages, Estino said.

Preliminary reports from his emissaries suggested Schilling was fine but was heavily guarded because he was resisting his captors, using martial arts moves, he added.

The American from Oakland, California, was also requesting food such as instant noodles.

Previously, government intelligence sources said Schilling was being kept handcuffed in the space under an elevated house, penned in a wooden cage, after his abduction on August 28. However Estino made no mention of this.

Abu Sabaya, the leader of the Abu Sayyaf faction holding Schilling, has given orders that he should not be harmed despite occasional violent outbursts, Estino said.

Estino also dismissed reports that the Abu Sayyaf had rejected his mediation, adding he was waiting for a decision on a venue and date for talks.

He added he was also working to free Filipino, Roland Ullah, who was seized in the raid on Sipadan, who he hoped could be released by Friday.

The Abu Sayyaf have released most of their foreign hostages since April, amid reports that large ransom payments were made, but are still holding 16 Filipinos.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide