Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


01 September 2000 - The Manila Times

Final assault vs Abu set

Military decision triggered by Mindanao clamor –Nur

By Herbie S. Gomez, Charmaine Deogracias, Marian Trinidad, Manny B. Marinay, Joel San Juan  and Mirasol Ng-Gadil

CAGAYAN de Oro City—The military is preparing to launch a full-scale assault on Abu Sayyaf bandits to put an end to their kidnap-for-ransom activities in the South, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Gov. Nur Misuari disclosed yesterday.

The former Moro rebel chief said officials gave a green light to the military offensive because of a growing clamor for the government to crush the extremist rebel group.

“The public opinion for a military action against this group is too strong because it has focused more on the business of kidnapping rather than on ideological warfare,” he said.

Misuari said he would meet next week Southern Command chief Lt. Gen. Diomedio Villanueva in Jolo, Sulu, to discuss plans on the military action against the Muslim bandits now holding captive 24-year-old African-American Jeffrey Craig Edward Schilling.

Misuari’s statement fanned fears about American participation in the offensive. Militant groups have been reporting sightings of United States troops in Mindanao and other islands.

Defense Secretary Orlando Mercado, however, allayed concerns.

The US troops, he said, were part of the war exercises planned long before the Abu Sayyaf started grabbing hostages.

 “There is no military option at the moment,” Mercado told reporters. “We’re not saying the military option is the only option. We cannot be precipitate in our actions. There are ways of resolving the situation peacefully.”

Not me

As this developed, Abu Sayyaf leader Ghalib “Robot” Andang disclaimed any role in the American’s kidnapping.”

Chief government negotiator Robert Aventajado Jr. quoted Andang as saying that he had nothing to do with the Schilling case, and “doesn’t want to have anything with it.”

Schilling is believed held by an Abu Sayyaf faction led by Abu Sabaya and Radulan Sahiron, who had earlier figured in the beheading of teachers in Basilan.

Press Secretary Ricardo Puno said Malacañang has received a copy of Robot’s letter to Aventajado.

Troops beefed up

A highly-placed ranking military officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told THE MANILA TIMES the Southern Command has augmented its forces in Jolo, Sulu, with troops redeployed from Northern Mindanao, the Caraga Region and other areas in Mindanao.

 “Nauubos na ang pasensiya namin, masyado ng napapahiya si Presidente (Our patience is running out, the President is being subjected to further embarrassment),” the source said, adding the deployment of additional troops was in preparation for an all-out assault against the kidnappers.

A retired military general, however, said the Abu Sayyaf is no longer that easy to lick given its present manpower strength and powerful firearms.

He said that from 200, the group now boasts of 2,500 active combatants, and has acquired modern and powerful firearms with the estimated $11-million ransom it got for the release of majority of hostages it kidnapped from Sipadan, Malaysia.

Any military operations against the bandits, particularly the Robot-Susukan faction, should have been carried out two weeks after the April 23 abduction of the Sipadan hostages, he said.

The Jolo-based Abu Sayyaf has threatened to behead Schilling unless its demands, among them the release of three international terrorists in the US and more foreign media coverage, are met. The rest of its demands remained unspecified.

The United States said it would not pay any ransom or strike any deal with the Abu Sayyaf in exchange for Schilling’s freedom.

However, the source, who gained prominence during the stint of Armed Forces chief of staff Gen. Joselin Nazareno, said the “US government will definitely do something about this (problem with the Abu Sayyaf terrorists).”

He stressed, “They (Americans) have always had a hard stand against terrorism and kidnapping.”

The US considers the Abu Sayyaf as an international terrorist group, the source added.

Malacañang blamed

 “What this group has done is a crime against humanity. In fact, it is the highest form of abnormality to sell human beings,” said Misuari, chief of the former mainstream secessionist rebel organization, Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), which signed a peace pact with government in 1996.

In a Mindanao-wide radio interview from Iligan City, Misuari blamed Malacañang for replacing him as chief government negotiator, saying he would have prevented the problem from becoming complicated.

As government negotiator, Misuari said he tapped the MNLF to corner the Abu Sayyaf and confine the problem in Jolo.

“The Abu Sayyaf was a tiny problem, it was very small for me. Now, it’s already uncontrollable,” Misuari  said as he washed his hands off the case.

 “Since things have become very complicated, I do not want to be embroiled in this problem anymore,” he said.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide