Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


31 August 2000 - AP

Philippines To Get Tough On Rebels

By BULLIT MARQUEZ, Associated Press Writer

ZAMBOANGA, Philippines (AP) - Muslim rebels threatened Wednesday to behead an American they are holding captive, and the Philippine government considered a tougher approach on hostage-takers, fearing that ransoms paid for other hostages could encourage more abductions.

``We do not joke,'' said Abu Sabaya, spokesman of the Abu Sayyaf rebels. ``When we say we will behead someone, we will behead him.''

The rebels announced Tuesday they had abducted Jeffrey Schilling of Oakland, Calif., said they would announce their demands in three days, and warned they would kill Schilling if the United States didn't accept.

The extremist group is holding 18 other hostages on southern Jolo island after releasing six Westerners earlier this week for a reported $6 million paid by Libya.

Critics have warned that the large ransom payment will encourage more kidnappings in the southern Philippines. Abu Sayyaf has received more than $11.5 million in ransom for the releases of the six hostages this week and other releases in recent months, including another Westerner and nine Malaysians, according to estimates by negotiators and the military.

``We cannot go on like this,'' said presidential executive secretary Ronaldo Zamora. ``Otherwise we will be doing exactly what those against ransom have been saying right from the beginning. We are just setting ourselves up for more problems in the future.''

Several senators, including Senate President Franklin Drilon, urged the government to consider military action against the rebels.

The U.S. Embassy said the American government would make no deal with the rebels. ``We will not pay ransom, change policies, release prisoners, or make any concessions that reward hostage-taking,'' it said in a statement.

In an interview with the Radio Mindanao Network, Sabaya said the guerrillas are willing to begin negotiations with U.S. Embassy officials on Thursday for Schilling's release.

But he demanded that representatives of North Korea, China, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Libya take part in the talks.

``I hope this will proceed smoothly,'' he said Wednesday. ``We are not afraid of a rescue operation by the Americans.''

Schilling is being held by a faction of the hard-line Abu Sayyaf group that kidnapped about 50 schoolchildren and teachers in March. The group beheaded two teachers after the United States ignored their demand for the release of Arab terrorists held in U.S. jails.

Sabaya said the rebels believe Schilling is a CIA agent because he introduced himself as a Muslim convert but knew little about Islam.

U.S. Consul General John Caulfield called the allegation ``ridiculous.''

``This individual is a completely innocent person who has been unjustifiably seized,'' he said. ``We want to see his immediate release and we look to the Philippine government to do everything possible to secure that.''

Zamora said the government had been forced to negotiate with the Abu Sayyaf after they abducted 21 people, mostly foreigners, in April because of pressure from their governments for a nonmilitary solution. In contrast, he said, the United States has taken a more aggressive approach.

Schilling arrived in the Philippines March 8 and has been living with his Muslim Filipino girlfriend, Ivi V. Osani, in Zamboanga.

Osani's mother, Aida Ajijol, said Osani and Sabaya are second cousins. Sabaya had invited the couple to visit the rebels' camp on Jolo, she said.

In Oakland, Schilling's mother, Carol, said her son visited the Philippines because of a longtime interest in the region but stayed after he fell in love.

``I tried to get him out of the country three times but he didn't come out,'' she said. ``He was too much in love.''

Police on Wednesday said Abu Sayyaf rebels have also kidnapped their fourth young woman in less than a month - a 16-year-old girl on her way to school - with the intention of forcing her to marry an Abu Sayyaf member.

The three other women - a high school student, a teacher and a midwife - were kidnapped earlier this month for the same purpose, police said.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide