Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


30 August 2000 - AP

Former Hostages Visit Libya

By BASSEM MROUE, Associated Press Writer

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) - With their long ordeal in the Philippines behind them, six former hostages arrived in Tripoli on Tuesday and attended a ceremony where official after official lavishly praised Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's role in securing their freedom.

``Don't forget the name that delivered you from the humiliation of captivity, that name is Moammar Gadhafi,'' a Libyan official told the former hostages, some of whom were wearing T-shirts adorned with pictures of Gadhafi.

The welcome ceremony for the French, South African and German ex-hostages was held at the site where Gadhafi's adopted daughter was killed in the 1986 U.S. bombing of Tripoli and the port city of Benghazi.

Gadhafi often receives foreign visitors at the site, a ruined house, taking the opportunity to criticize the United States for the bombing that killed at least three dozen people. But he did not attend Tuesday's ceremony, leaving the former hostages to endure speech after speech by Libyan officials and foreign dignitaries.

Many of the speeches lauded Gadhafi and his son Seif el-Islam, the head of the Gadhafi International Association for Charitable Organizations, for winning the hostages' freedom from Muslim rebel captors. But anti-American rhetoric was also much in evidence.

The site was decorated with anti-American and anti-British posters - some of the U.S. warplanes which participated in the 1986 raids took off from Britain. A sculpture at the site showed a giant fist crushing a U.S. warplane.

When Tuesday's 75-minute ceremony ended, a Libyan announcer invited the former hostages to tour the site, which he said was destroyed ``by the leader of international terrorism: America.''

The hostages, who were freed Sunday and Monday, had been held on Jolo island in the southern Philippines by members of the Abu Sayyaf rebel group. Some had been in captivity since April. Libya took the lead in negotiations to win their freedom.

Instead of heading home to relatives and friends, or to medical examinations or psychological counseling after their ordeal, the hostages were put on a plane for a more than 20-hour flight to Libya for the celebratory ceremony. The trip included an overnight layover on mattresses in an airport at the United Arab Emirates.

Two former hostages - South African Callie Strydom and German Werner Wallert - attended the ceremony wearing white T-shirts with a picture of the Libyan leader on the back.

``On the one hand we are released and happy to be released ... on the other hand we are still concerned about those who are still in captivity,'' Wallert said in a short address.

``I feel amazing. Very happy, very happy,'' Strydom, the South African, told reporters afterward. ``We went through unbelievable things, from military attacks to running around in the jungle.''

The freed hostages' trip to Libya is officially voluntary. But it is widely believed that their governments agreed to the visit in exchange for Libya's help in negotiations.

Dirk Wallert, the German hostage's son, said he didn't mind the Libya visit in light of the fact that Libya helped spring his father from captivity.

``Because the hostages were freed, the stopover in Tripoli is for me totally all right,'' he said in an interview with SAT1 television.

Gadhafi, in power for more than three decades, earned unprecedented international thanks for persuading the Abu Sayyaf rebels to release the six. He is working on winning the freedom of 18 others - six foreigners and 12 Filipinos - still held by the Muslim rebels.

Negotiators in the Philippines say Gadhafi paid $1 million per captive, but Libya denies that, insisting it gained the releases by promising development projects in the Philippines.

Hours after the release, the Philippine government announced that an American, Jeffrey Craig Edwards Schilling, was kidnapped by the rebels. There had been fears that paying ransoms would encourage guerrillas to take more hostages. Chief Libyan negotiator Rajab Azzarouq said Libya would work for Schilling's release.

Libya, often accused of backing guerrillas, plotting terror attacks and meddling in affairs far from home, says it acted in the hostage situation out of humanitarian concern. But the move also won Gadhafi international publicity at a time when his North African nation is working to end years of isolation.

France accuses Libyan agents in the 1989 bombing of a French passenger jet that killed 170 people. On Tuesday, though, the French minister for cooperation, Charles Josselin, was in Libya to receive the French citizens among the former hostages.

``This positive action by Libya in the release of the hostages can clearly only improve relations between our two countries,'' he told France Inter radio.

But Libya's new image of a caring and humane nation appeared to cut no ice with some of the relatives of the 270 victims of the 1988 Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland. Two Libyans suspected of masterminding the attack are currently on trial in the Netherlands.

``I don't believe Gadhafi has an iota of feeling for the six hostages - they're just a means to an end,'' said Bert Ammerman of River Vale, N.J., whose brother Thomas was killed in the Pan Am bombing.

``It's typical Gadhafi and I'm not surprised by it,'' Ammerman said by telephone from the high school where he teaches.

Libya has long-standing ties with Muslim rebels in the mostly Catholic Philippines and has helped negotiate in previous kidnappings. It has helped build schools and mosques in the impoverished south, but has also been accused of training rebels from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the larger Muslim rebel group.

In addition to Strydom and Wallert, the freed hostages included Frenchwomen Marie Moarbes, Sonia Wendling and Maryse Burgot; and South African Callie Strydom, Monique's husband.

Burgot was among three French journalists who came to the rebel camp to interview the hostages last month, while the other freed hostages were among 21 people kidnapped from the Malaysian resort of Sipadan April 23.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide