Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


28 August 2000 - AFP

Philippine hostage ordeal was hot, sickening, and hell: South African

JOLO, Philippines, Aug 28 (AFP) - Hot, sickening and hell.

South African accountant Callie Strydom summed up his ordeal in three words as he emerged Monday from the hideout of Muslim extremists in southern Jolo island, after being held captive for more than four months.

Abu Sayyaf gunmen roused the 36-year-old Johannesburg resident from the hostages' crude tent in the middle of the tropical jungle early Monday and told him to pack his things, less than 24 hours after his wife Monique tasted freedom, joining three French hostages and a German.

The task was simple. Everything went into a used rucksack and a small backpack. Sporting a long beard, he left in his night clothes -- a striped shirt and blue shorts. By the time he arrived at an army base several hours later his sandals were caked in mud.

"It's been hell," he said of the group's last 128 days. "It's hot, sickening there."

The couple's adventure began as a spring diving holiday on the idyllic island of Sipadan in nearby Malaysia.

But the couple and eight European tourists and 11 resort staff were abducted by Abu Sayyaf gunmen on Easter Sunday and brought to Jolo.

"My main priority is to get out with my wife," said Callie Strydom, who was later flown to the central city of Cebu to join his wife and the other freed Western captives on the long flight home.

His first request was a mobile phone so that he could get in touch with her.

The accountant told reporters he felt "very sad to leave the others behind. It's not easy going out one by one because we've been together in this for so long."

He said it was "unfair" that three Frenchmen, two Finns, one German and 17 Filipinos had been held behind, but added: "I am positive it's going to be over soon."

Philippine government negotiators said they expect to get the other Westerners out within the week.

Callie Strydom said the hostages had been treated "nice" by their captors and were never threatened in any way. But their more than four months in captivity, as well as the staggered release of the captives, were taking their emotional toll.

He warned that the emotional state of those left behind was fragile.

"Seppo is not well. He's in a bad condition," he said of Finnish hostage Seppo Fraenti, a 51 year-old coordinator of activities for handicapped children at a Helsinki hospital.

"We've been through very bad experiences, running away from the military," he said, referring to the early days of the hostage crisis when the guerrillas were on the move to escape encircling military units. The European Union later prevailed on the Philippine government to lift the security cordon for the hostages' own safety.

The South African described their flight from the military pursuers, which at one point broke out into a running gunbattle with the guerrillas, as "one of the worst" he had ever experienced.

"This is not over until everyone is out," he added.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide