Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


27 August 2000 - AP

Muslim rebels to release six hostages today

Philippine negotiator is hopeful after the authorities free two rebels whose freedom was demanded by the Abu Sayyaf as a pre-condition

ZAMBOANGA -- Muslim rebels have agreed to free at least six of their 12 foreign hostages today following the release of two guerillas who were arrested carrying bundles of cash thought to be part of a previous multimillion dollar ransom payment, officials said.

""We're very hopeful,'' negotiator Farouk Hussein said yesterday.

Abu Sayyaf rebel commander Ghalib ""Robot'' Andang had demanded that the two men be freed before proceeding with the release, negotiators said.

Local newspapers have reported Abu Sayyaf's threats to behead at least two hostages if their men were not released.

The rebels also threatened to withhold the release of all hostages.

Hours later, the two were freed on bail despite being charged with being accessories to kidnapping.

According to a member of the negotiating team, once Andang confirmed the release of his men in a telephone call yesterday to chief negotiator Robert Aventajado, he agreed to release today the four remaining female hostages -- three French and a South African -- plus German Werner Wallert and a Finnish man, he said.

The hostages are being held by the rebels in a jungle on remote Jolo island, 940 km south of Manila.

After being released, they are to be flown by helicopter to Zamboanga, a nearby port city where they are to be presented to their ambassadors. They will then fly to Tripoli on a Libyan jet, where they are to meet Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Negotiators were trying to convince the rebels to release two other people as well, said the member.

The two arrested men, Jeffrey Lau Jinnul and Adjid Halik, were detained on Thursday while trying to convert US$240,000 (S$413,000) into Philippine pesos at a Zamboanga bank.

Police said they had been pressured by high government officials to release the men, who were freed yesterday on 120,000 pesos (S$4,680) bail each, according to court officials. The court retained the US$240,000 as evidence.

The men admitted they had received the money from the rebels, police said.

The military estimates the rebels have been paid more than US$ 5.5 million for the earlier releases of nine Malaysians and a German.

The Abu Sayyaf guerillas are holding three French, two Germans, two Finns and two South Africans kidnapped on April 23 from Malaysia's Sipadan diving resort, and three French television journalists seized last month when they visited the rebels' hide-out.

They also hold 12 Filipino Christian evangelists who went to their camp to pray for the hostages.--AP

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide