Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


27 August 2000 - AFP

Philippines emissary's visit boosts hostages' freedom bid

JOLO, Philippines, Aug 27 (AFP) - A government emissary visited the jungle hideout of Muslim extremist kidnappers in this southern Philippines island on Sunday, raising the hopes of 12 western hostages most of whom are in their fifth month of captivity.

The go-between codenamed "Dragon" took an early morning air force helicopter flight to Jolo from nearby Zamboanga city.

Witnesses said he later drove toward the village of Bandang for a rendezvous with Abu Sayyaf leaders.

Sources close to the talks said the emissary would push for the immediate release of two Frenchwomen, a Franco-Lebanese woman and a South African woman along with a German man and a Finn under a deal backed by a charity run by a son of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi.

Government troops set up checkpoints and conducted patrols on the road linking the provincial capital to the village of Tagbak, about 10 kilometers (0.6 miles) from the Abu Sayyaf mountain camp, an AFP reporter witnessed.

The governments of the western captives are scheduled to send Manila-based envoys to Zamboanga later Sunday amid mounting expectations that the emissary's visit could produce a breakthrough, sources close to the talks said.

The gunmen, self-styled Muslim independence fighters, hold three other Frenchmen, a German, a Finn, the South African woman's husband, and more than a dozen Filipino hostages.

Ten of the captives including nine of the westerners were snatched from a nearby Malaysian resort in a cross-border raid on Easter Sunday and are now on their 127th day in captivity.

The Abu Sayyaf has freed more than a dozen hostages including 11 foreigners in exchange for ransoms the Philippine military estimated at 5.5 million dollars.

Kadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam, told the German news magazine Focus in its latest edition that the hostages "will be released in small groups in the next few days," starting with the women.

Seif al-Islam runs the Kadhafi Charitable Foundation, which has offered millions of dollars' worth of development aid to poor Muslim areas of the mainly Roman Catholic Philippines including Jolo in exchange for the western captives.

A Libyan jet has been on standby in the Philippines for two weeks, ready to fly the western hostages to Tripoli where they would be turned over to their respective governments.

The latest push to resolve the hostage crisis was launched after the police freed on bail two suspected Abu Sayyaf bagmen who were caught trying to change 240,000 dollars in alleged ransom money into the local currency in Zamboanga last week.

Their lawyer has denied that the money was returned to the suspects, saying it was kept in police custody as evidence in the trial.

Press reports have said the Abu Sayyaf has threatened to behead some western hostages if the two suspects are not freed with the money. Government negotiators have discounted the report.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide