Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


25 August 2000 - The Manila Times

4 tagged in Sulu kidnap

2 politicians, 2 traders ok'd Abu operations

By Manny B. Marinay, Maricel Cruz, Rene Custodio and Faber Concepcion

POLICE and military intelligence agents are eyeing two prominent Mindanao politicians and two South-based businessmen for their possible involvement in the Abu Sayyaf abduction of foreign tourists from Malaysia’s Sipadan Island last April 23.

Senior Camp Aguinaldo and Camp Crame sources told THE MANILA TIMES that persistent intelligence reports of hefty “commissions” to some negotiators spurred government sleuths to look deeper into the links between some members of the Mindanao elite, who are   believed to have approved   the Sipadan abductions, and the terrorists.

The sources refused to divulge the identities of their suspects but described one of them as a “businessman, a former official and a friend of the President.”

While other reports also mentioned a Malaysian general, the intelligence sources said they were concentrating on the Filipino allies of the Abu Sayyaf.

They did not discount the Malaysian connection, however, citing the curious flow of information and personalities between the neighboring Southeast Asian country and Sulu, where the Abu Sayyaf continues to hold 24 hostages.

As this developed, Zamboanga-based intelligence officers also warned of the deployment of Abu Sayyaf strike forces to several tourist spots, including Dakak Island, Palawan and the Zamboanga peninsula.

Aside from foreign tourists, the group plans to abduct well-to-do Sulu businessmen who have already fled the island and ethnic Chinese businessmen, the sources said.

While the intelligence men said they had still to confirm the whereabouts of six Taiwanese and five Chinese fishing crew kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf, they warned that teams of guerrillas had been sent out to abduct more foreigners in Southern Philippines.

“This will drag out the crisis,” the sources acknowledged. “They will be taking more hostages than they will be releasing.”

Southern Command sources said the kidnap teams are under the command of Ustadz Khadaffy Janjalani. The guerrilla forces, they added, were spotted aboard a speed boat on the Rio Hondo and Mariki rivers.

Six members led by a Commander Mubin also left the Sulu hinterland aboard a fast-craft and have already linked up with their assets living near Mindanao beaches.

Commissions

The intelligence sources told THE TIMES reports of ransom being “shared” with emissaries have raised suspicion of civilian involvement in the long-running hostage crisis.

“We surmise that some people in the negotiating team could have devised that crisis,” they said, adding that the kidnapping stemmed from monetary and political goals.

“Pera-pera lang (It’s all for money) but the political aspect is obvious,” the officials added, linking the group to a plot to destabilize the Estrada administration.

“Somehow they succeeded in that aspect,” the officials said.

Former negotiator and Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Gov. Nur Misuari said he would have nothing to do with the hostage crisis.

He also accused the Estrada administration of virtually abandoning its “no-ransom” policy.

Misuari said he had been sincere in trying to execute a scheme that would “prevent people from offering money,” and expressed disgust over reports that rebels have purchased modern weapons from hundreds of millions of pesos in ransom money.

“This is very, very disturbing to us because it would be ARMM that would face the consequence of all this,” the governor said.

Sen. Rodolfo Biazon echoed Misuari’s complaints and accused some sectors of trying to confuse Filipinos.

“We do not know who is in control of Mindanao,” said the chairman of the Senate committee on national defense and security, who also accused government officials of “playing games with the public.”

“They tell us no ransom is being paid yet, in the same breath, they claim ransom was paid by either representatives of this government or a multinational group,” he pointed out.

Information, please

As government negotiators tried to finalize details for the release of nine Sipadan hostages, three French journalists and 12 Filipino Christian evangelists, state officials continued to parry the US offer to aid a government campaign against the Abu Sayyaf.

Commission on Human Rights (CHR) Chairman Aurora Reciña said the United States should just concentrate on sharing information about the Abu Sayyaf’s foreign allies.

“It’s better for the United States to provide us information about the Abu Sayyaf and it’s link with international terrorists and about the Abu Sayyaf’s financiers or donors. Also the US government may relay to us who or what international organizations are supporting the Abu Sayyaf. And not only links with international terrorists, but probably links with other groups abroad which are not known terrorists but secretly supporting the Abu Sayyaf,” she told THE TIMES.

Reciña said the US may have vital information which Philippine authorities may not be aware off, given the western power’s technological and communications superiority.

Letters

Malacañang, meanwhile, acknowledged receipt of letters from the governments of the foreign hostages and the father-in-law of Ghalib Andang alias Commander Robot.

Andang’s kin urged the government to halt all police and military operations against extremist leaders for six months, to give Abu Sayyaf leaders time to prepare their legal defense.

Lawyer Oliver Lozano, counsel for the rebel’s father-in-law, scotched the possibility of guerrillas using the lull to skip out of the country. “We are presuming the government enjoys full might,” he said in a telephone interview. “It can use the Navy to sweep the seas, the Immigration Bureau to ensure no rebel slips out.”

Andang’s relative, citing amnesties for Misuari and former New People’s Army (NPA) chieftain Dante Buscayno, and the recent pardon for cult leader and priest-killer Norberto Manero, said the use of military force against the rebels would lead to bloodshed and the deaths of hostages.

Press Undersecretary Mike Toledo confirmed that the heads of state of Finland, Germany and France have reiterated their appeal against a military solution.

But at a press briefing, Toledo insisted the three countries also reiterated their confidence in Malacañang’s handling of the hostage crisis.

“As far as I know, they did not complain,” Toledo said. “As a matter of fact, they were grateful and thanked the President for all the support he has given.”

The Palace released a purported letter from the three heads of state but the document lacked a date, signatures or even a letterhead. Toledo surmised Mr. Estrada has already seen the missive and was drafting a reply.

The lengthy hostage ordeal has tarnished the country’s image and scared away both tourists and investors.

Libya has played a high-profile role in the negotiations for the Western hostages and is believed to be paying millions of dollars for their freedom.

Libyan Ambassador Rajab Azzarouq insisted the money would fund development projects in the impoverished region instead of going directly to the rebels.

Some $5.5 million was paid last month to the ASG for the release of six other Malaysians and a German, according to military officials.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide