| Worried Euro leaders prod RP on Sulu crisis MALACAÑANG (ABS-CBN) -
Malacañang confirmed that it received a formal communique from the heads of Finland,
Germany, and France, expressing their concern over the long delayed release of the
remaining Abu Sayyaf hostages in Sulu.
However, the letter from the three heads of state, reportedly
received by President Estrada on Wednesday, is still subject to verification.
According to press undersecretary Mike Toledo, the unsigned
letter, reportedly sent to Malacañang on August 22, bore the names of President Tarja
Halonen of the Republic of Finland, President Jacques Chirac of the Republic of France,
Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Toledo said the letter was a reiteration of support for the
Philippine government on how it is handling the four-month hostage crisis.
"The three heads of state have expressed their gratitude
to the Philippine government for the efforts it extended to facilitate a speedy and
peaceful solution to the hostage crisis," Toledo said.
Although the letter contained no demands, concern was
expressed for the failed release of the hostages last weekend.
"We thank you very much for the efforts which your
government has put in for a speedy and peaceful solution to the hostage crisis. However,
we are deeply concerned that the envisaged release of the hostage crisis failed last
weekend," the letter said.
Also the letter expressed confidence that the negotiating
process would soon be finalized to achieve the release of all hostages without any further
delay.
Safety first
While taking note of the delay in the release of the Sulu
hostages, the three leaders also appealed to President Estrada not to resort to a military
offensive but instead assure the safe release of the hostages.
"We use this opportunity to underline our firm view that
the safe and early release of the hostages is the first priority. Their release must not
be jeopardized by any action or any announcements the abductors on the island of Jolo
could perceive to be a reason not to implement a negotiated solution to this drama. The
safety of the hostages may not be undermined by any use of force," the letter said.
But Toledo stressed that the letter should not be perceived as
a letter of demand asking the President to end the crisis. "The leaders thanked the
President on how the Philippine government has been handling the situation from day
one," he said.
He also downplayed perception
that the letter was a diplomatic form of disgust over the performance of the Philippine
government in handling the crisis.
"They did mention about the delay, but as I've said, the
general tone of the letter was more of support, was more of confirmation of support that
was previously expressed by the ambassadors and foreign ministers of the countries that
the hostages have come from," Toledo said.
"As far as I know, they did not complain, rather, they
said that they just wanted an assurance that (military) option will not be taken," he
added.
Also mentioned in the letter was the assistance offered by
Libya. "In this context, we are grateful for Libya assistance and we trust in the
good cooperation between your representatives and the Libyan negotiator," it said.
Shotgun wedding
Meanwhile, the defense department expressed alarm over the Abu
Sayyaf's new way of sowing terror in the province - the "shotgun marriage."
This developed after the terrorist group abducted a school
teacher and a 16-year-old girl separately in Talipao town, Sulu.
Mercado, in radio interview, confirmed reports that one of the
two women abducted will be paired off with one of the Abu Sayyaf members.
"Obviously, there will be no courtship anymore," the
defense secretary said.
Vice President and social welfare secretary Gloria
Macapagal-Arroyo, for her part, appealed to the authorities to immediately rescue the
abducted women.
Arroyo said she would personally check on the condition of the
abducted women's families and give them all assistance possible.
The practice of snatching women and marrying them in a snap
wedding is an Abu Sayyaf practice since the group gained notoriety in 1995.
Arroyo, in separate radio interview, said that the Abu Sayyaf
are taking advantage of armed conflict in their region to marry their preferred women
"by force."
"That is the big conflict of the old and new culture . .
. It (shotgun wedding) is easier when there is a war situation," the Vice President
said.
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |