Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo DirectoryTravel Borneo


23 August 2000 - The Manila Times

Libya agrees to pay full ransom demand

By Charmaine Deogracias and Mirasol Ng-Gadil

LIBYA has reluctantly agreed to pay the entire multi-million dollar ransom demanded by Abu Sayyaf guerrillas in a last-ditch effort to win the release of 12 foreign hostages, negotiators said Tuesday.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Domingo Siazon Jr. also expressed the government’s willingness to consider asylum for extremist rebels who have reportedly been offered scholarships in a Libyan Islamic university.

Even as negotiators tried to spur the release of the hostages, the United States expressed willingness to help the Philippines in dealing with the extremist rebels, who are included in the US State Department’s watch list of international terrorists.

“It (Abu Sayyaf) is one of a number of organizations around the world that we consider terrorist-organizations,” said US Embassy spokesman Thomas Skipper. “The US is committed to helping any way it can to combat these groups, to help other governments combat these groups.”

Skipper, however, said the US government would step in only if requested by Manila. Any US action, he added, would depend on Manila’s request.

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammad also offered to help Manila to secure the release of the 24 Sulu hostages, including 12 evangelists.

Mahathir, quoted by the national Bernama news agency, said he did not want others to think that Malaysia only cared for the freedom of its own citizens.

Mahathir did not specify how Malaysia would help the Philippines in the hostage crisis, and insisted that he had “no idea” whether any ransom was paid.

“We’ve been striving to secure the freedom of hostages taken ill, like the Lebanese, but I have not been updated on the progress yet,” Mahathir told reporters in Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, where he is attending a financial conference.

Development funds

Malacañang, scotched the possibility of Abu Sayyaf leaders enjoying Libya’s money, saying this would be poured into development projects.

At a press briefing, Press Secretary Ricardo Puno explained: “It’s just like when you are trying to propose development projects to official development assistance source… It’s not that you are demanding anything. It’s not like in the same nature of loans, credits or anything like that.”

“Definitely, the Philippine government is not going to pay $12 million to the Abu Sayyaf,” he stressed.

An emissary claimed the release of the nine Sipadan hostages and three French journalists, scheduled last Saturday, was postponed when Libya tried to lower the ransom per hostage from $1 million to $700,000.

Libya also initially refused to pay any ransom for the three French journalists, but relented last week, negotiators added.

The ransom for the journalists was quickly obtained from a Philippine bank in Manila through a letter of credit guaranteed by Libya, a source said.

Government chief negotiator Robert Aventajado has said the package being offered to the rebels is “non-monetary.”

Aventajado said he discussed the reasons for the failure of Saturday’s release in several telephone calls with Abu Sayyaf commander Ghalib “Robot” Andang. Andang remained willing to free all the hostages in one batch if the problems were settled, he said.

Asylum

While Siazon said negotiors should consider asylum, he said the issue has not yet figured in negotiations with the Abu Sayyaf.

Emissaries had earlier told THE MANILA TIMES that rebels had apparently decided to work out asylum for some leaders while preparing for a military assault. The same sources claimed

A rebel spokesman had also told reporters they would release the last hostage “when we are prepared to take on the military.”

“When you are negotiating, everything is possible, you do not close the door,” Siazon said when queried about asylum.

Even if the Abu Sayyaf members are considered bandits, he added, “in all negotiations, you always have to look at the exits.”

Earlier, Defense Secretary Orlando Mercado took the same tack. Aides quoted his reaction to the possibility of asylum as, “what the heck, let them (Abu Sayyaf leaders) fly.”

The defense chief also said: “The President’s avowed policy is to ensure the hostages’ safety. If that means letting the kidnapping leaders leave, so be it. We can ask for them back later. It may take time, it may happen fast. But we’ll get them back for sure.”

The American offer was greeted by wariness in the legislature. Sen. Aquilino Pimentel said the Estrada administration should be cautious about using US resources.

The offer, he charged, validates earlier reports that the US Central Intelligence Agency had recruited, trained and funded the Abu Sayyaf as mujahideen against the Russians in Afghanistan.
with reports from Macon Ramos-Araneta and Faber Concepcion

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide