Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


21 August 2000 - AP

Libya Working on Hostage Release

By PAT ROQUE, Associated Press Writer

JOLO, Philippines (AP) - Three Malaysian resort workers held for four months by Philippine Muslim rebels headed home Sunday, and Libya said it will work with European countries to win the release of the 24 other people in captivity on the same island.

``I'm very happy,'' said freed hostage Ken Fong Yin Ken, as he hugged his father, the pilot of the Malaysian plane that flew to remote Jolo island to take him and two others home.

The three Malaysians were released Friday, but they temporarily stayed with another rebel faction for safety after their van ran out of gasoline. The Abu Sayyaf rebels who ransomed them still hold 24 other hostages, including 12 Westerners, in their remote jungle camp.

The rebels, who seek an independent Islamic state in the southern Philippines, reneged on a plan to release all the hostages Saturday.

At the time, Libyan mediators who brokered the deal for the hostage release blamed the Philippine military for the breakdown. They threatened to withdraw their envoys if there were not ``tangible, positive developments'' within 48 hours.

But on Sunday, Libyan Foreign Minister Abdel Rahman Mohammed Shalgam said Libya's efforts would continue, despite the difficulties. It was not clear if the minister was contradicting the mediation organization's statement. The group is run by Seif el-Islam, the son of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Libya, once accused of arming and training Islamic groups in the mainly Roman Catholic Philippines, has played a high-profile role in the negotiations and is believed to be paying millions of dollars for the hostages' freedom. Libyan officials say the money will fund development projects in the impoverished region instead of going directly to the rebels. None of the hostages is Libyan.

After making the deal to free all the hostages, the rebels changed their minds and said they would free only two, because they feared a military attack. Negotiators refused to accept the offer because President Joseph Estrada had ordered that all the captives be released at once. They also denied there were any military movements.

``The military is not doing anything that should alarm the Abu Sayyaf,'' Aventajado said.

Negotiators said the release of all the captives remains difficult because of internal strife within the Abu Sayyaf. The group's various factions are believed to be quarreling over the ransom money.

``All the ingredients are there for a solution. It's up to them. We want them to get their act together,'' Libyan negotiator Rajab Azzarouq said.

The three freed Malaysians were flown from Jolo to nearby Zamboanga City, where they were presented to their ambassador. From there they flew to Kota Kinabalu in eastern Malaysia.

Hundreds of officials, relatives and well-wishers embraced the three Malaysians when they arrived in Kota Kinabalu. Ken Fong said he would return to Sipadan, the island where he was kidnapped, to continue his work as a dive master.

``I've been there for eight years already. It's my life,'' he said.

Also freed were Basilius Jim, a forest ranger, and Kua Yu Loong, a resort cook.

The three were workers at the diving resort where the original group of 21 was taken captive April 23. Of that group, nine hostages remain. The rebels later seized three French journalists and a dozen Filipino Christian evangelists who came to pray at their camp.

The Abu Sayyaf still hold six French, two Germans, two Finns, two South Africans and 12 Filipinos.

An estimated $5.5 million was paid last month to the Abu Sayyaf for the release of six other Malaysians and a German, according to military officials. A Filipino woman was released Wednesday and a Filipino man was reportedly freed Friday.

In Manila, Estrada led tens of thousands of members of the Catholic charismatic group El Shaddai in praying for the release of the remaining hostages. He urged the Abu Sayyaf and a larger Muslim separatist group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, to give up their rebellions and allow economic development in the impoverished southern Mindanao region.

``Let us abandon the outdated music of war. It no longer suits the present time,'' Estrada said.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide