Freed Malaysian hostages missing
ZAMBOANGA CITY, (ABS-CBN) - Three Malaysian hostages reported
freed by Abu Sayyaf bandits in Jolo, Sulu on Friday are missing.
Chief hostage crisis negotiator Secretary Robert Aventajado
arrived in Zamboanga City at about 1:15 a.m., Saturday, only to report that the Malaysians
were expected here by speedboat at about 9 p.m., Friday, but have not yet arrived.
Aventajado blamed bad weather for the delay.
Upon arriving at the Edwin Andrews Air Base here, Aventajado
gave the following statement:
"I just spoke with Lee Peng Wee, whom I've told you I've
reassigned as my Zamboanga coordinator, that the Malaysians were released as of noontime
(Friday) and he said we should expect the Malaysians to be here at 9 p.m. But because of
the bad weather, they're still not here. (Today), we will work for the release of the rest
of the hostages - the Europeans . . . the South Africans and the three French journalists.
So hopefully by (today), we will be able to recover some of the hostages."
The Abu Sayyaf had been holding the three Malaysians, five
French nationals, two Germans, two Finns, a South African couple, a Franco-Lebanese woman
and one Filipino hostage.
Except for three French journalists, the hostages were part of
an original group of 21 abducted from the Sipadan Island resort in Malaysia last April 23.
Twelve preachers of the Jesus Miracle Crusade are also still
in the bandits' lair.
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |