Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


18 August 2000 - ABS-CBN

Almeda is a hostage, past ransoms were paid -- Malacañang

MALACAÑANG, (ABS-CBN) - After more than a month of denial, Malacañang finally admitted on Friday that Jesus Miracle Crusade (JMC) evangelist Wilde Almeda and his group are "now officially hostages" of the Abu Sayyaf.

In a press briefing, press undersecretary Mike Toledo quoting government chief negotiator Robert Aventajado, said that Almeda and his group are now among 13 other hostages of the bandit group.

Toledo, however, did not say if the government has started negotiating for the release of Almeda and 11 other preachers.

A thirteenth JMC member, Danilo Cuarteros, was earlier freed conditionally by the Abu Sayyaf to come up with a P130-million ransom, the Associated Press reported last August 3.

It is not known whether the JMC members will be among the 13 hostages whose release is anticipated this Saturday, after days of delay.

Three of the 13 are French journalists, while the rest were seized from the Sipadan Island resort in Malaysia last April 23, together with eight others.

Both the government and the JMC had earlier denied that Almeda and his preachers were hostaged, explaining that they had gone to the bandits' lair of their own free will last July 1.

Ransoms admitted
Meanwhile, chief hostage crisis negotiator Robert Aventajado practically admitted that ransoms were instrumental in all past hostage releases.

In a DZMM interview on Friday, Aventajado was asked to swear before God that there was no ransom in negotiations with the Abu Sayyaf.

Unable to make a categorical statement, Aventajado replied: "God knows how difficult my job is. But I believe that God also knows I only want the best solution for this crisis."

Zamora likewise admitted that the continued "bargaining" between the government and the Abu Sayyaf has been causing the series of delays in the release of the hostages.

He, nevertheless, maintained that the Philippine government was still firm on its no-ransom policy, adding that other intermediaries are the ones offering ransom payments to the rebels.

"Other intermediaries, in effect, are violating our policies which we cannot totally control. That's why what's happening now is very simple, they are still on the bargaining process," Zamora said.

He added: "Even the intermediaries are apprehensive because we have already told them that the money they are giving to this group are being used to buy arms."

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide