Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


17 August 2000 - The Straits Times

Hostage release held up as rebels demand more cash

In a surprise move, Abu Sayyaf frees a Filipina cook, one of 21 tourists and staff seized by the rebels from the resort island of Sipadan on April 23

By LUZ BAGUIORO

MANILA -- The expected release yesterday of all remaining hostages, held by Muslim extremists for four months, suffered a snag when the kidnappers demanded more money for their freedom.

But in a surprise move, the Abu Sayyaf rebels released a Filipina cook from their jungle lair on the southern island of Jolo.

She was one of 21 tourists and staff seized by the rebels from the resort island of Sipadan on April 23.

""I thought it was only a dream,'' said Ms Lucrecia Dablo. ""But it is true.''

She sobbed as she was led away by chief government negotiator Roberto Aventajado at a military base not far from the kidnappers' base.

""This could be a signal that the other hostages will be released starting Thursday,'' Mr Aventajado said in a television interview.

The Abu Sayyaf was expected to release the 13 mostly foreign hostages yesterday.

The hostages, who have been held in dire conditions, subsist on cassava and other root crops and impure mountain water. Several have thought of committing suicide.

The police in Jolo said the kidnappers, fearing a military crackdown once all their captives were freed, could have aborted the handover of the hostages after they monitored soldiers patrolling near their hideout.

""We hope that there can be a breakthrough,'' chief presidential aide Ronaldo Zamora told reporters. ""But I do not want to announce a breakthrough right now because so many breakthroughs have been announced and gone.''

Sources close to the negotiators said the Abu Sayyaf, which is known to sustain its members through kidnap-for-ransom and extortion activities, had sought more ransom for the release of the hostages.

Libyan envoy Rajab Azzarouq and other government emissaries, who trekked to the kidnappers' jungle camp early yesterday, returned empty-handed several hours later.

The kidnappers at first demanded US$1 million (S$1.72 million) for each of the 21 hostages, a separate state, fishing rights and the revival of barter trade.

The military calculates they have received US$5.5 million for 11 hostages released so far.

The gunmen also hold captive a French television crew of three and three Filipino construction workers.

But the question in the minds of most Filipinos and those in Western countries is whether the Philippine government will do anything to prevent a repeat of the hostage crisis which has so embarrassed the country in the eyes of the world.

""Maybe, it's better if we should first finish the negotiations for the release of the hostages. It will be difficult to do everything at the same time,'' Mr Aventajado said.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide