Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


13 August 2000 - AFP

Libyan mediators arrive in Philippine hostage island

JOLO, Philippines, Aug 13 (AFP) - An influential Libyan mediator returned to this southern Philippine island on Sunday amid speculation the 17 mostly foreign hostages held by Muslim gunmen here were on the verge of gaining freedom.

Rajab Azzarouq, Libya's retired ambassador to Manila, flew in aboard a private jet with Mohamad Ismail, an official of an aid foundation ran by Libyan leader Mohamer Khadafi's son.

They met with provincial governor Abdusakur Tan of Jolo and members of the island's Muslim religious council, after which Ismail abruptly left for Manila.

Ismail said Libya has lined up livelihood projects and infrastructure programs for Jolo in exchange for the three Malaysians, five French, a South African couple, two Filipinos, two Germans, two Finns and a Franco-Lebanese woman held at gunpoint by the Abu Sayyaf group here.

"I cannot give you a timetable. There is no ransom involved for their release, but livelihood projects. We are still working for everybody's release," Ismail told reporters here before leaving.

Included in the aid package are housing projects, Islamic schools, clinics and cultural centers to be set up in Jolo, one of the country's poorest areas.

"It is Libya's support to the Philippines and (funding for the projects) would be channeled through the government," Ismail said.

Lebanese media last week reported that Libya has offered to pay 25 million dollars for all the hostages, with priority to be given to Franco-Lebanese hostage Marie-Michele Moarbes.

The reports had claimed that the Libyan leader's son, Seif al-Islam, reportedly tapped Ismail as a special envoy to work out the deal with the Abu Sayyaf rebels.

Shortly after that report came out, Ismail arrived in Jolo last week, but said he only met with religious leaders to discuss the aid package.

The reports have been denied by Azzarouq and chief government negotiator Roberto Aventajado, who is due to arrive in nearby Zamboanga city on Monday.

Earlier Sunday, a group of Christian preachers who had prayed over the hostages and fasted 40 days at the Abu Sayyaf camp aborted a planned trip out of the jungle lair after torrential rains caused visibility problems.

A spokesman for the Jesus Miracle Crusade Robert Chua said the preachers, led by veteran television evangelist Wilde Almeda, were expected to walk free on Monday after receiving the green light from the Abu Sayyaf.

Chua earlier said Almeda could be allowed to bring with him nine western hostages, including Franco-Lebanese woman Marie-Michele Moarbes, with two Filipino hostages as a "bonus."

"We believe he may be able to bring down some hostages, with the Filipinos as bonus," Chua said.

A local politician who had helped the preachers gain entry to the Abu Sayyaf camp on July 1 also met with Azzarouq and Ismail on Sunday.

Almeda and 12 of his followers entered the Abu Sayyaf camp in Talipao town after paying 3,000 dollars and dozens of sacks of rice in what many considered a foolhardy attempt to secure the hostages' release.

The group had said they would return to Jolo town only after fasting for 40 days and praying over the hostages, in a bid to convince their abductors to free them.

Fourteen of the captives were among an original group of 21 mostly foreign hostages seized by Abu Sayyaf gunmen from the Malaysian border of Sipadan in April and taken across the border to Jolo island, while three are French journalists taken hostage while covering the crisis.

Six Malaysians and a German were earlier released, reportedly in exchange for huge ransoms, sources here said.

Sources said Abu Sayyaf leaders Andang and Mujib Susukan agreed last week to accept the Libyan offer to end the four-month-old hostage crisis.

Reports from Johannesburg meanwhile said South African officials flew to Tripoli over the weekend to await for the arrival of the hostages, who were to be flown aboard a 50-seater plane to Libya once freed.

The Sunday Times said officials from other countries involved have also gathered in Libya.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide