Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


13 August 2000 - The Manila Times

Beirut envoy parleys with Libya for release of Lebanese hostage

BEIRUT, Lebanon—A Lebanese official was making an unscheduled visit to Libya Saturday in a strong indication that a Lebanese-French woman held by Philippine Muslim rebels may soon be released following mediation by Tripoli, sources said.

The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, would not speculate on the purpose of the trip to Tripoli by Minister of Hydraulics Resources Suleiman Traboulsi.

However, the unscheduled visit comes a week after a Lebanese newspaper reported that Libya was engaged in negotiations with the Abu Sayyaf kidnappers for the release of Lebanese-born Marie Moarbes, who has been held since April.

The Aug. 5 report in An-Nahar newspaper said Libya was willing to pay a ransom for the release of the hostages, with priority on freedom for Moarbes, apparently because of her Arab background. It said that under the deal the hostages would be encouraged to travel to Libya to thank the leadership for its mediation, a media show that Tripoli would use to improve its international standing.

Abdul Rajab Azzarouq, Libya’s former ambassador to the Philippines, however, denied reports his country offered $25 million in ransom for the European and Asian hostages being held by the Abu Sayyaf.

“There is no truth to that. Our offer, which we talked about is a socio-economic package for livelihood projects,” Azzarouq said, who has been involved in negotiations to free the captives held by the Abu Sayyaf rebels on Jolo Island.

The chief government negotiator, Robert Aventajado, also denied the reports. But he said Libya has been involved in livelihood projects for Muslim communities in the southern Philippines.

No information

Prime Minister Salim Hoss’ office said early Saturday it had no information about an imminent hostage release. Another government official said there were ongoing efforts for Moarbes’ release but so far no date has been set.

Another government official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said negotiations were “serious” but would not speculate on the timing of a release.

Lebanese diplomatic sources have said in the past that Beirut has sought Libyan help on the Moarbes case, which attracted widespread media attention in this country.

In Paris late Friday, the French Foreign Ministry refused to comment on the possible release of Moarbes.

It was not clear whether the possible release of Moarbes would be part of a larger deal to gain the freedom of the remaining hostages.

The leading Beirut daily An-Nahar said in a report Aug. 5 that Seif al-Islam, Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi’s son, sent an emissary to Manila to try for a deal.

It said the envoy, Mohamad Ismail, contacted the Lebanese Embassy in Tokyo and expressed “full readiness” to pay a ransom of $1 million to gain the release of Marie Moarbes, a Lebanese-French woman, as a first priority. The report also said Libya would then pay $24 million for the liberation of the other hostages.

‘It’s rubbish’

Ismail, who is helping Azzarouq, also denied the report.

“It’s rubbish,” he said, adding that it would be illogical to give more than what the kidnappers had asked for.

The Abu Sayyaf has demanded $1 million for each of the nine Western hostages still in their hands—two Germans, two Finns, Moarbes, two other French, and two South Africans. The rebels are also holding three French television journalists, three Malaysians and two Filipinos. -AP

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide