Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


11 August 2000 - ABS-CBN

Negotiators expect Almeda, JMC preachers to be freed soon

JOLO, (ABS-CBN) - Government negotiators said Friday they expect the 12 evangelists from the Jesus Miracle Crusade (JMC) headed by Wilde Almeda to be released soon by their Abu Sayyaf captors.

Sulu governor Abdusakur Tan said, "We are nearing in our objective".

Tan also said he is optimistic the remaining three Malaysians, two Filipinos, and nine Western hostages seized by Abu Sayyaf bandits from the Sipadan Island diving resort in Malaysia last April 23 "will be settled within two weeks."

"Personally, I'm upbeat about the release," he added.

Unconfirmed reports claimed that the anticipated release of the JMC hostages may take place this weekend, while that of at least six of the Sipadan hostages may follow shortly.

Earlier, Hector Buclao, a former local official who had helped the evangelists gain access to the Abu Sayyaf bandits' lair on July 1, claimed the JMC members would emerge from captivity late Friday afternoon. However, his announcement turned out to be false.

Buclao claimed on Thursday that the Christian evangelist group left the bandits' lair camp and were awaiting a van that would take them back to the capital town of Jolo. He said the preachers were weak from fasting.

The government's chief negotiator Robert Aventajado recently announced he would have nothing to do with negotiations for the release of the JMC members, saying they entered the Abu Sayyaf camp of their own free will.

Wire reports earlier said the Abu Sayyaf demanded a P120-million ransom in exchange for the freedom of the evangelists.

One JMC member, Danilo Cuarteros, was conditionally freed to come up with the supposed ransom.

Thirteen members of the group originally went to the Abu Sayyaf camp to "pray over" the Sipadan hostages, with the hope of securing their release.

The group paid $3,000 and gave 30 sacks of rice to gain entry.

However, the JMC members were later turned into captives, as Abu Sayyaf leaders confirmed they had abducted the evangelists and even threatened to behead some of them for preaching aloud.

Two weeks ago, Cuarteros emerged from the kidnappers' hideout insisting the JMC was merely continuing a 40-day religious fast.

Chief government negotiator Robert Aventajado had also earlier said Abu Sayyaf leader Galib Andang told him the preachers were not being held against their will.

The Abu Sayyaf are also holding three French TV journalists who were seized last month while seeking an interview with the Sipadan hostages, as well as three Filipino Christian laborers who were working in a quarry near the guerilla hideout.

Six Malaysians and a German woman among the Sipadan hostages, besides two Filipino TV journalists and a German reporter, have been freed.

Unidentified groups have paid at least P245 million to the kidnappers amid the Philippine government's no-ransom policy, the country's Armed Forces chief Gen. Angelo Reyes admitted earlier this week.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide