Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


11 August 2000 - The Straits Times

BOUNTY MAKES MUSLIM REBELS STRONGER

Manila may have a hard time crushing the Abu Sayyaf as it amasses nearly $10 million in exchange for freeing some of the hostages in its custody

By LUZ BAGUIORO
PHILIPPINES CORRESPONDENT

MANILA -- The Philippine government is waging a losing battle against the extremist Abu Sayyaf group with thousands joining its ranks, lured by dreams of instant riches from huge ransoms.

The government may now have a hard time crushing the extremist Abu Sayyaf group as the huge kidnap bounty it has amassed so far enabled it to acquire arms and to beef up its ranks.

By the military's reckoning, the Abu Sayyaf kidnappers have so far received 245 million pesos (S$9.7 million) in exchange for the release of 11 of their hostages, including six Malaysians and two Germans.

A dozen others are still in their hands, including three Malaysians, five French citizens, two Finns, two Germans, two South Africans and a Franco-Lebanese.

Armed forces chief General Angelo Reyes -- in a briefing to the Cabinet last Monday -- said the Muslim gunmen had spent part of the ransom money to boost their firepower and recruit fighters.

Intelligence sources said the kidnappers have built up an inventory of at least 3,000 homemade landmines which they would presumably use to foil any government assault on their lair.

Although the government insists the ransom was paid by other parties, what is significant is that it no longer denies that payments had been made.

More bounty is expected in coming days as the governments of Libya and Lebanon seek to redeem the remaining 30 hostages held in the jungles of the southern island of Jolo.

Libya has reportedly offered to pay US$25 million for the freedom of the remaining captives.

Awash with cash, the Abu Sayyaf group, which the military estimated to have no more than 1,000 fighters at the beginning of this year, has managed to lure thousands into its fold.

According to Colonel Romeo Tolentino, commander of a military task force in Jolo, the Abu Sayyaf ranks swelled at least ten-fold to 3,000 since the start of the hostage crisis in April and recruitment was ""ongoing''.

Military officials said prices for arms and ammunition in the black market have gone up considerably since the Abu Sayyaf went on a shopping binge for guns and other military hardware.

And with more money for arms procurement than the Philippine National Police or the Philippine Navy, there is growing scepticism that the military will be able to decimate this ragtag band of bandits once the hostage crisis is resolved.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide