Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


07 August 2000 - AFP

Philippines Muslim kidnappers warn of violence if rescue attempted

JOLO, Philippines, Aug 7 (AFP) -

Muslim extremists holding more than a dozen hostages in the southern Philippine island of Jolo, on Sunday warned they would unleash violence if the government resorted to a military rescue.

Abu Sayyaf senior leader, Galib Andang, said the group was planning to release more hostages to chief government negotiator Roberto Aventajado in exchange for livelihood projects.

But should President Joseph Estrada decide to order an offensive to rescue the hostages, "we are prepared to fight them", Andang said.

"If the military launches an operation against us, they are not after a peaceful solution. We are also preparing for that," Andang said in a taped message to reporters here.

"If they launch an operation against us, we may be forced to burn the town of Jolo or (nearby) Zamboanga city," he stressed.

Andang, popularly called Commander Robot, also boasted, "we now have money, we now have enough men and guns", to meet the military head on.

"If they do that, we will revenge. We have funds. If they give us problems and a headache, we will give the same to them, even bigger," Andang warned.

The group is holding captive five French nationals, a Franco-Lebanese woman, two Finns, two South Africans, two Germans, three Malaysians and two Filipinos.

All but three of the hostages were among 21 people seized from a Malaysian dive resort in April and taken across the border by boat to Jolo.

Six Malaysians and a German woman from the original group, as well as three Filipinos abducted from nearby Basilan in March, have been freed.

The remaining three Malaysians, along with two Filipinos, are expected to be freed within the week as soon as Aventajado finalises details of a livelihood project for the rebels, Andang said.

Two Malaysian officials, who were to discuss the project with Aventajado, pulled out from scheduled talks on Sunday, a development that could delay the five's release.

Andang said he had been informed that Malaysia's ambassador to Manila was personally planning to fetch the three, but he had yet to secure permission from Aventajado.

"We have already agreed on the venue where to release those who are to be released and we already have an agreement with Aventajado to give us livelihood projects," Andang said.

Aventajado earlier said the rebels had asked for government funding to set up orange, mango and coffee plantations in Talipao town, an Abu Sayyaf stronghold where the hostages are kept.

Andang's statement Sunday virtually confirmed the group had received huge ransoms for those already freed, a claim repeatedly denied by the local and international governments.

Police and military sources here said the Abu Sayyaf's strength had risen to 3,000 armed fighters, including those recruited using the ransom money raised from the abductions.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide