Hostage
crisis blamed on government
By Faber Concepcion
JOLO, SuluGov. Nur
Misuari of the Autono-mous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) yesterday revealed that the
leaders of the Abu Sayyaf terrorists who abducted the mostly foreign hostages from a
Malaysian diving resort told him long before the kidnapping that they wanted to return to
the fold of the law.
But Malacañang
did not act immediately on his request to authorize him to negotiate.
The Abu leaders,
particularly Ghalib Andang alias Commander Robot and Mujib Susukan wanted to
surrender to the government Misuari told THE MANILA TIMES in an exclusive interview.
If given such
authority, the ARMM governor said he could have neutralized the terrorists and
help prevent the kidnapping of the hostages from the Sipadan Island diving resort off
Sabah in Malaysia last April 23.
Mujib and
Robot and all the leaders talked to me twice (about the surrender). I told them
(Malacañang) about this and also President Estrada when he went here to open the regional
Palaro of ARMM early this year, Misuari said.
Earlier in another
interview, Misuari also said he cautioned the Malaysian government against being too harsh
in the deportation of thousands of illegal Filipino immigrants from Sabah following the
Sipadan abduction by the Abu Sayyaf.
He said he told
Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Badawi Abdullah when they met in Kuala Lumpur to be very,
very careful with these people, because the repatriation of the thousands of
undocumented Filipinos from Sabah would mean more economic hardships upon their return to
their homes in Mindanao.
Please slow
down because our economy cannot still withstand the onslaught of new arriving deportees.
These thousands of people coming home would affect the economy, Misuari claimed as
having told Badawi.
Meanwhile, lost
command rebels believed to be a breakaway faction of the Sulu-based Abu Sayyaf
bandits are asking a ransom of P500,000 each or a total of P1.5 million in exchange for
the release of the three construction firm workers abducted Tuesday morning in Patikul
town, Sulu.
Seized Tuesday at
about 8:30 a.m. were Samuel Ramillano, driver and truck helpers Reynante dela Cruz and
Nelson Habibas.
Military reports
from Jolo, Sulu disclosed that the ransom demand was relayed through a handwritten letter
by the groups leader to Hadjirul Mandangan, owner of Mandangan Merchandising and
Construction Inc. located at the port area of Jolo.
The reports said
the letter was hand carried by a messenger of the rebels, who just left the package at
MMCI and hurriedly left the place.
The hostages were
seized by lost command rebels, led by Muin Sahiron and Adam Julhan in Barangay
Darayan, Patikul town while delivering construction materials.
The rebels were
also responsible for the detention of German journalist Andreas Lorenz of the Der Spiegel
magazine.
Sahiron is said to
be the nephew of Sulu-based Abu Sayyaf chief of staff Radulan Sahiron. The
same group was responsible in the abduction of ABS-CBN researcher Maryann Maan
Macapagal and cameraman Percival Val Cuenca last July 24 in Kaunayan, Patikul
town.
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |