Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


01 August 2000 - The Manila Bulletin

Gov't patience with Sayyaf wearing thin

By EDD K. USMAN 

Government negotiators' patience could be wearing thin in talking with the Abu Sayyaf for the freedom of its hostages in Jolo, Sulu, as the chief negotiator warned yesterday peaceful negotiations could end if they will seize more captives.

The warning was aired by Secretary Robert Aventajado, head of the negotiating team, in a radio interview on Monday.

"If they persist on taking more hostages, the government could change its policy" of solving this problem through a peaceful negotiation, Aventajado said.

Though he did not explain further, the top negotiator even in earlier pronouncements had never ruled out a military option in dealing with the crisis.

Governments of the foreign hostages - from Germany, France, Finland, South Africa, Lebanon and Malaysia - have been urging the Philippine government not to mount any military rescue to free the hostages and end the 100day ordeal that started on April 23 when the Abu Sayyaf made a daring raid in Sipadan Island, off Sabah, Malaysia, and kidnapped 21 hostages that also included two Filipinos.

Six Malaysians and a German mother have been released from the 21 original hostages by the kidnappers who call themselves freedom fighters, but even their fellow Moros believe their real motive is only to amass ransom money.

Last week Aventajado asked journalists who had come to Jolo to cover the crisis to abandon the island and switch their base to nearby Zamboanga City because law enforcement authorities could not assure their safety. Reporters of foreign news agencies transferred to Zamboanga on Sunday.

This was after an Abu Sayyaf faction or lost command headed by a certain "Commander Arafat" earlier named by Sulu Gov. Sakur Tan as Mujin Abdullah who has less than 10 men abducted on July 24 ABS-CBN journalists Val Cuenca and Maan Macapagal.

The husband-and-wife team was released on Saturday after five days in the jungle lair of the kidnapers.

Earlier, a German reporter of the De Spiegel magazine, who has since been freed, too, was also held.

At present three French journalists are still in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf, including 12 television evangelists who visited the kidnappers' camp.

Their penchant for adding - with seeming impunity - to their hostages, even as negotiations drag on, has apparently stuck on the nerves of the government negotiators.

The Abu Sayyaf, since day one, has apparently been dictating the pace of the negotiations against the will of the government due to the primordial concerns for the hostages' safety.

Aventajado's warning could be a sign government patience is becoming thin as more Abu Sayyaf factions are being lured by the prospects of making easy money.

On the other hand, Gov. Nur Misuari of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) whom Aventajado replaced as chief negotiator in the early stages of the hostage saga said in a report that winning the captives' release now may prove more difficult.

"Before we could still put pressure. We had limited their movements, food and demands," Misuari was quoted by the Agence France Presse in Zamboanga.

The ARMM governor who is also chairman of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) arrived via Sandakan, Malaysia on Saturday evening from more than two months travel abroad.

Most of the Abu Sayyaf leaders and members, in one way or another, were former MNLF fighters who still respect their leader.

Misuari said the Abu Sayyaf has been buying arms using the ransom money they received for the release of their 10 hostages, adding they can now afford even to buy missiles.

Government has always, and repeatedly, denied paying any ransom, but the MNLF chairman's statement has brought to the open what has been an "open secret" in Jolo where a proliferation of P1,000 bills is confirmed by Jolo residents visiting to Manila.

Guns' prices have also rose three times in the island. And a rumor going on now is that a more spectacular raid by the Abu Sayyaf to kidnap more hostages is afoot, Jolo residents told the Manila Bulletin.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide