Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


30 July 2000 - The Manila Times

ABUS FREE 2-MAN TV CREW

Muslim rebels on Saturday freed two Filipino journalists kidnapped in Patikul, Sulu, five days ago while reporting on a hostage saga in the southern Philippines for the country’s top television channel, local officials said.

The kidnappers of ABS-CBN cameraman Percival Cuenca and reporter Maan Macapagal were a “lost command” group headed by a Commander Arafath, according to government chief negotiator Robert Aventajado.

President Estrada, interviewed by CNN while on a working visit to the US, said he expects more hostages to be released in the next two weeks, but warned that negotiations remain “complicated.”

Officials said rebels handed over Cuenca and Macapagal to Sulu Vice Gov. Munib Estino, an emissary of Aventajado.

The released ABS-CBN employees, abducted on July 24 while reporting on the kidnapping of hostages from a Malaysian diving resort by the Abu Sayyaf rebels more than three months ago, were later flown from Jolo to the nearby city of Zamboanga.

The duo said they would continue their coverage of the hostage crisis.

Aventajado traveled to Jolo with ABS-CBN officials, including board chairman Eugenio Lopez III and senior vice president Angelo Castro Jr. to receive Cuenca and Macapagal.

It was not immediately clear whether ransom was paid.

‘Fair game’

Aventajado said he was very happy over the release, adding that he hoped no more journalists were kidnapped trying to cover the crisis.

He urged all journalists to leave Jolo and instead cover the hostage crisis from Zamboanga, a city about 150 kilometers away. He warned that “everyone is fair game” for the rebels.

The two journalists had established contacts with the rebels in their coverage of the abduction of 21 people, mostly foreigners, from Sipadan, a nearby Malaysian diving resort on April 23.

From the original Sipadan hostages, the rebels have so far released one German and six Malaysians.

The rebels later also seized a German and three French journalists. Andreas Lorenz of Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine was released Thursday after 25 days in captivity.

Aside from the French journalists, three French, three Malaysians, two Germans, two Finns, two South Africans and two Filipinos are still in captivity. The rebels are also holding 12 Filipino members of a Christian evangelical group.

More releases

Aventajado said he has spoken with a go-between for the rebels who told him the three remaining Malaysians may be freed next week and “the other foreigners would be released soon.”

“I am very optimistic that we will be able to resolve this problem,” he said in a government radio program.

About P190 million had been paid for the releases of the German and the six Malaysians from the Sipadan group despite the government’s official no-ransom policy, Philippine military officials said.

The Abu Sayyaf is a loose collection of several hundred heavily armed rebels divided into several bands, each with different commanders. The group has been accused of banditry, kidnappings and numerous attacks on Christians.

The rebels are still holding three other Malaysians, two other Germans, two Finns, two South Africans, three French including a Lebanon-born woman who was given French citizenship while in custody and two Filipinos.

Ransom

There was no immediate word if any ransom was paid for the release of Cuenca and Macapagal. Local officials have insisted the rebels have been demanding $1 million for each Caucasian hostage and P15 million ($333,000) for each of the Malaysians and Filipinos.

But Aventajado has repeatedly said that no money has been handed over to the rebels and that his negotiations do not include any talks on ransoms.

Still, the ransom reports have persisted and some officials have referred obliquely to the problems of giving the rebels money that they could well use to fund the purchase of more arms.

“This is a situation wherein whatever we do we lose, but we know what is the truth,” Defense Secretary Orlando Mercado said in a television interview. “So this is a welcome to the real world. There are things that we have to do in spite of existing policies.”

In his CNN interview, President Estrada acknowledged negotiations were difficult.

“Remember that these people are terrorists and kidnappers,” he said. “We have to take all precautions in negotiating with these people because they are somewhat barbaric and very callous people. My concern, first and foremost, is the safety of the hostages.”

Foreign governments whose nationals are involved have urged the Philippines not to use force to secure the releases and Manila has vowed it will not.
--with reports from Faber Concepcion, Mirasol Ng-Gadil and Reuters/AP

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide