Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


29 July 2000 - AFP

JOURNALISTS' ABDUCTION AIMED AT EMBARASSING PHILIPPINE GOVERNMENT

JOLO, Philippines, July 29 (AFP) - Two Filipino television journalists held by Muslim gunmen for five days on this southern Philippine island said on Saturday their abduction was intended to embarrass the government and raise money for arms.

ABS-CBN cameraman Perceival Cuenca and researcher Maan Macapagal said they were returning to Jolo town from interviewing Abu Sayyaf commanders on Monday when they were snatched at gunpoint by several men.

The group was believed to be a splinter unit from the Abu Sayyaf, who are holding 17 European and Asian hostages in another camp.

Macapagal said the armed men told them they were snatched because they wanted to raise money for arms ahead of planned attack by the Philippine army on the group after all the hostages are freed.

"They admitted that they were raising money because they know that after all hostages are freed there will be a military operation," Macapagal said during an interview aired by ABS-CBN television, hours after they were released.

Cuenca said he was told by the leader of their abductors that they also wanted to "embarrass" Abdusakur Tan, the governor of Sulu province that includes Jolo, one of the poorest areas in the Philippines.

"They are angry with Governor Tan, they used us to embarrass Tan," Cuenca said.

He said the armed men accused the governor of not doing enough to develop the island.

The two were freed early Saturday after an Abu Sayyaf senior leader reportedly convinced their captors to turn them over without a ransom. Sources however said six million pesos (136,000 dollars) was paid to secure them.

The gunmen did not confiscate their equipment, but did take some loose cash which they then used to buy food, Macapagal said.

They said villagers near the camp were aware they had been taken as hostages and would occasionally bring them food, but did not seem surprised at their presence.

Footage taken by Cuenca of his captors showed men wearing mismatched fatigues and masks over their faces.

They were shown held captive in a small hut with no doors. Both appeared well and said they were not mistreated by their captors during their five-day ordeal.

Cuence said that on the evening before they were freed shooting broke out between their captors and another rival Abu Sayyaf splinter group, who wanted to take them. No one was reported injured and they were collected by an emissary at day break.

The Abu Sayyaf are still holding 17 hostages, including two Germans, five French nationals, three Malaysians, two Finns, two South Africans, a Franco-Lebanese woman, and two Filipinos.

The rebel group is one of a number of Muslim separatist units that are fighting for an independent homeland in the south of the mainly Roman Catholic Philippines.

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide