| CASH-RICH
PHILIPINE KIDNAPPERS STOCKING UP ON ARMS JOLO (Philippines) -- Cash-rich Abu Sayyaf gunmen are stocking up on
weapons ahead of a possible government crackdown, using the ransoms for 10 freed hostages
out of dozens held in the southern Philippines jungle, intelligence sources said on
Saturday.
They said the self-styled
Muslim independence fighters are driving up the black market price of assault rifles on
Jolo island after they netted an estimated US$4 million from the kidnapping of tourists
and resort workers in the Malaysian island of Sipadan.
Abu Sayyaf leaders have
"put out the word" that they are in the market for weapons as they assume the
military and the police will go after them when the last of their remaining 31 hostages
are freed, said the sources, who asked not to be named.
Philippine police chief Panfilo
Lacson vowed last week that "we will not let them get away with what they have
done", and would just "wait until the hostage crisis is over" before making
a move.
Police say there are two
million unlicensed firearms in Jolo and nearby islands, a mainly depressed Muslim region
in the south-western tip of the Philippine archipelago.
The sources said the price of
M-16 rifles, standard issue for the Philippine military, have nearly doubled to 45,000
pesos (US$1,011) from 28,000 pesos before the April 23 Sipadan raid.
Machine guns and M-203 rifles
which can also fire rocket-propelled grenades are also in great demand.
Two Abu Sayyaf factions freed
four Malaysians and two Filipino teachers on Friday plus a Filipino boy on Thursday.
German teacher Renate Wallert was released last Monday, while two other Malaysians walked
free earlier.
No government has admitted to
paying ransoms, although Filipino officials later said it was possible that other parties
might have supplied the cash.
After Mrs Wallert's release,
the Abu Sayyaf bought 2,000 envelopes, the sources said, which would serve as
"payroll" envelopes for a large number of guns for hire who helped guard the
hostages.
Philippine President Joseph
Estrada's chief aide, Executive Secretary Ronaldo Zamora stressed on Saturday that the
government "will not attack the Abu Sayyaf camps".
"We place a premium on the
safety of the hostages, and after this, whatever happens, let us try to correct
that," he said in a statement.
Chief hostage negotiator
Roberto Aventajado said on Saturday that Manila would focus its efforts on freeing three
Malaysian men and three western women.
The three Malaysians "may
be freed in the next few days", he said. Sources close to the negotiations said one
gunman held on to the trio in a quarrel over ransom.
After the Malaysians, the
government would try to free all the remaining women from Sipadan -- Filipina Lucrecia
Dablo, Frenchwoman Sonia Wendling, Marie Moarbes of Lebanon and South African Monique
Strydom -- Mr Aventajado said.
He gave no timetable, but
sources close to the negotiations said the Malaysians could be freed this weekend.
The Abu Sayyaf still holds Mrs
Wallert's husband Werner and son Marc, Ms Wendling's boyfriend Stephane Loisy, Finns Mirco
Jahanen Rista and Johan Franti Seppo, Mrs Strydom's husband Carel and a Filipino, Roland
Ullah.
A three-member French
television crew including a woman, and a German journalist covering the crisis here, were
also kidnapped, as were 13 Filipino Christian preachers who had visited Andang's hideout.
Intelligence sources said the
gunmen plan to hold onto the preachers and use them as human shields when the hostage
crisis winds down. -- AFP
Back to Sipadan Hostages News
Back
to This Week's Borneo News |