Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


18 July 2000 - The Straits Times

TEARS AND SMILES AS FREED HOSTAGE MEETS FAMILY

Lance-Cpl Abdul Jawah breaks down in an emotional reunion with his wife, children and parents at the police officers' mess in Kota Kinabalu

THERE was no need for words. Lance-Cpl Abdul Jawah Salawat's tears told the whole story.

After nearly three months as a hostage of the Abu Sayyaf in Jolo in the southern Philippines, he became the second Malaysian to be released last Friday.

Yesterday, he saw his wife and three children in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah for the first time since he was taken captive.

Despite the constant flashing of cameras, Lance-Cpl Abdul Jawah broke down in tears as he kissed the hands of his parents Salawat Januh and Asburah Pauddin.

He then hugged his wife Norsimah Musbani, daughters Sharifah Amunah, 15, and Mahani Abdul Jawah, 10, and son Hishammuddin Abdul Jawah, one.

Throughout this emotional reunion at the police officers' mess here, not a word was exchanged. The family just wanted to touch and kiss him.

Dressed in their Friday best, his family was just relieved.

""I am grateful to God that I am home. I wish the others are released soon as well,'' Lance-Cpl Abdul Jawah told reporters in faltering Malay.

A Bajau, he speaks no English and just passable Malay.

He was the second hostage to be released by the rebels. The first was wildlife ranger Zulkarnain Hashim, who was freed on June 22.

Yesterday, the rebels also released German hostage Renate Wallert.

The remaining hostages comprise seven Malaysians, two more Germans, a South African couple, two French, two Finns, two Filipinos and a Lebanese national.

Lance-Cpl Abdul Jawah said he was told at 1 am on Friday that he would be released. By noon, he was having lunch with government emissaries on board the ferry, Lady Luck, which took him to Zamboanga city.

At 4.30 pm yesterday, he touched down at Kota Kinabalu airport after a short stop in Manila.

He attributed his police training as a crucial factor in helping him survive the 81-day ordeal, with the importance of camaraderie proving essential.

""With Zulkarnain, we rallied the fellow hostages together. Because the others are only civilians, it was tougher for them,'' he said.

However, he did not elaborate on how the two kept up the spirits of the other hostages.

Fearing for the safety of the remaining captives, Malaysian security officials kept signalling for him not to comment on the situation.

After Mr Zulkarnain's release on June 22, the lance corporal said everyone in the camp felt sad.

""But we had to carry on as usual. We had no choice in order to survive.''

He said the hostages had been treated well by the Abu Sayyaf with an adequate supply of food. There was also freedom of movement for them within the rebels' hideout in Jolo.

Most of the time, the hostages talked to each other to pass the time.

""At night, I would just lie down thinking of my family in the kampung and wishing I was home,'' he said.

After having finally come home, he also had some words of comfort for the families of the remaining hostages: ""Keep calm and be patient. By the will of God, all will be released in a few more days.''

By the end of the press conference, he was all smiles. The ordeal was over. 

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide