Sipadan Hostage News at e-Borneo.com

Sipadan Hostage Crisis

click here for more info

Sponsor Highlight

e-Borneo's Main PageBorneo NewsBorneo Directory


03 July 2000 - The Straits Times

HOSTAGE PREGNANCY REPORT "WAS FAKE"

According to a Philippine report, news of the South African's condition was made up by French journalists to protect her from sexual abuse or rape

JOLO -- A South African hostage, being held by Abu Sayyaf rebels in the jungle in the southern Philippines, did not suffer a miscarriage as reported by the rebels last week.

The news of Mrs Monique Strydom's ""pregnancy'' was contrived and spread by foreign journalists to protect her from possible rape or sexual molestation at the hands of her captors, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported.

Several French journalists conspired to spread rumours of the ""pregnancy'' and kept the truth from the rebels.

But now it appears that the rebels have used the news of the ""miscarriage'' as a way to pressure Manila and other foreign governments into meeting their demands.

It is unclear whether the rebels believed Mrs Strydom was pregnant and had a miscarriage or whether they knew she was not and were using the rumours to increase the political pressure.

The report said that even Dr Nelsa Amin, the government physician who has periodically visited the hostages, was let in on the conspiracy.

Galib Andang, one of the leaders of the Abu Sayyaf, said on Friday that medical supplies for the foreign hostages were being stopped and Mrs Strydom ""had to just treat herself''.

In South Africa, the government said on Saturday it received the apparently erroneous news of the miscarriage with ""great distress'', and again urged a speedy resolution of hostage crisis.

South African Foreign Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said the government ""has learnt with great distress that Monique Strydom... has suffered the loss of her unborn child''.

A South African Foreign Ministry statement issued in Pretoria said: ""It is the minister's wish that negotiations with the abductors could be expedited to ensure an amicable resolution of the crisis resulting in the early release of all hostages.''

Meanwhile, Andang said the hostage-taking had served one of the Abu Sayyaf's purposes.

""It was a deliberate act so we would be recognised and we have attained that objective,'' he said. --Philippine Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network

Back to Sipadan Hostages News

Back to This Week's Borneo News


Info Sections -

Info Borneo Inside Borneo Inside Internet
Premier Services - Borneo Forum Classified Ads Online Chat Event Board Free Email Web Hosting
Electronic Cards Borneo Auction Borneo Quiz
E-Borneo Project - General Info Contribution Feedback Submit URL Mailing List Link to Us

Home  |  About e-Borneo  |  Announcement  |  Services  |  Bookmark Us  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy  |  Copyright  |  Contact

Copyright © 1999, 2000   e-Borneo.  All rights reserved worldwide