- First a 2 hr drive on bumpy tarmac from Miri.
- Stop for refreshments at the turnoff to Batu Niah – Ngoo’s Food Market – and see some of the natural produce on display.
- After arrival at Park Headquarters and check in to the chalet accommodation, which is large and spacious, it is time to start the 3 km plank walk to the main cave – about 1 hour each way. (Can be slippery when wet; easy walk when dry.)
- Take water; some drinks are also available along the way (sometimes!).
- Traders Cave comes first just before the main cave – it is a long low cave with old trading stalls made out of Belian wood (ironwood), some of them nearly 100 years old.
- Then the main cave with its little houses and shelters. Follow the marked route into the depths of the cave system (you need a torch which can also be hired for a pound!).
- It is basically a circular tour through the cave system and then head back to entrance, unless you want an extra hour’s walk to the Painted Cave, which is interesting but adds a lot of walking!
- Visit Rumah Chang Longhouse on the way back if you wish – it is now re-built and thoroughly modernised! They even park their cars underneath nowadays, where the chickens and pigs used to live!
- The Museum at the river end of the plank walk is very interesting, though small. A lovely traditional building too!
- It is open until 5 p.m. (4.30 they start shutting up!)
- The evening can be spent at the Park H.Q. or in the town of Batu Niah a few minutes away by car (also a very pleasant river cruise from the Park in the daytime), where there are a number of Chinese Restaurants and Hotels.
- The next day there is time for further exploration and leisure before the drive back to Miri and supper at one of the open air Chinese restaurants (Mors Jaya or Taman Selera).
- Full meals provided for this package.
Depart from your hotel by air conditioned coach to
Niah driving for approximately 2 hours. On arrival at the
Park Register and then cross the Niah River by boat.
Take the 3 km plankwalk to explore the caves. Return to the
Park Headquarters for late lunch and then check-in at your
room. Explore Niah town. Overnight.
After breakfast, depart for Miri stopping at an Iban
Longhouse and transfer to your hotel.
Tour inclusive of air conditioned coach, guide, and meals
as mentioned, park entry fees and permit, river transfers,
one night accommodation