Wildlife Tour to meet the Orang Utan and Proboscis Monkey
Itinerary for Sepilok Orang Utan & Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey
- In the morning (~7:45am), meet on arrival at Sandakan Airport or Hotel lobby.
- Proceed to the world famous Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre.
- The journey overland will take approximately 30 minutes.
- On arrival, register at the reception counter.
- Firstly, proceed for a 30 min video show and briefing on the Centre.
- The Centre was founded in 1964, to rehabilitate orphaned baby orangutans – most rescued from logging sites/plantations because of illegal hunting or illegal pet trade.
- Proceed to the Platform to observe the daily feeding of the Orang Utan (time: 1000 hrs).
- In addition, you can visit the nursery area where the younger Orang Utans first learn to be outside and play on a large climbing frame.
- Depart Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre for the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary.
- This privately-owned sanctuary in the centre of the mangrove forests gives you the chance to observe the proboscis monkey up close and personal.
- The proboscis monkey is found only on the island of Borneo, therefore, it is a “must see” for visitors.
- An estimated 300 wild monkeys live in the 6-sq-km reserve.
- Witness the Proboscis feeding in its natural habitat (time: 2:30pm).
- After the feeding, depart Labuk Bay.
- Transfer to Sandakan Airport for flight to Kota Kinabalu or to the hotel.
- End of tour.
Suitable walking shoes / long sleeves shirts / change of clothes / water canteen/plasters / insect repellent / mosquito oil / binoculars / camera / water proof bag for camera / torchlight / raincoat and personal items.